Looking for 6800 binary compatible CPU

I'm looking for a modern day CPU (preferably with flash and RAM) that is binary compatible with the Motorola 6800. Does such a beast exist? If so, any pointers to applicable devices would be greatly appreciated!

-->Neil

Reply to
Neil Bradley

If you can't find such a beast, there is a 6800 core at

so you could roll your own...

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Jackson

I doubt it but there are 2 product lines that are very close. Specifically the 6805/68908 and 68111/6812 lines from Motorola.

regards Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Tweddle

All the Motorola 68HC11 variations are upward compatible with the

6800. (except maybe in minor details like the location of interrupt vectors, etc.) I believe the 68HC12 family also, but I'm not sure about those...
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

Not the 68HC05- they left out a lot of stuff that was in the 6800.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Cost. 6800s Cost us something like $1.15. We also have to maintain timing accuracy on a few operations (sub 100 microsecond pulses). I considered doing emulation (I've got plenty of experience there), but the closer I can get to the original chip the better.

-->Neil

Reply to
Neil Bradley

Have you looked into the Freescale Coldfire line ?

Reply to
Dan

I just picked up my old and trusty M68HC11 Reference Manual:

"1.2 PROGRAMMERS MODEL

In addition to executing all M6800 and M6801 instructions, the M68HC11 instruction set includes 91 new opcodes."

Roberto Waltman wrote:

Roberto Waltman.

[Please reply to the group, the return address is invalid]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

I've got a lot of information on M68HCxxx line of Microcontrollers. Also have single board computers, vendors, tutorials, and all in my Links and Photos section in my group on Yahoo:

There are some SBCs for like $40 complete that you can start off with. I'm using one I built from a bare board and parts to play with.

Also my site compares different microcontrollers and list information for other flavors as well. Anyway if you don't go there I'll help you any way I can.

Michael

Roberto Waltman wrote:

Reply to
Michael

Are they *BINARY* compatible? I didn't think the 6800 and 68HC11 shared the same binary compatability (same nemonics, though).

-->Neil

Reply to
Neil Bradley

Didnt Hitachi make a 6301 that was like the Moto 6800 ??

carsten

Reply to
Carsten

Carsten wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I think the 6303 was, but had extra stuff. I may be mistaken on that, as my use of the 6303 used all it had to offer. My last 6800 machine was a Gimix system running Flex/OS (still have it, but the memory boards are all dead).

Jeff.

Reply to
Jeffrey A. Wormsley

the

Indeed I have a foggy recollection from some years back that while they are assembly code machine mnemonic compatible, a few of the opcodes generated are different. I believe this applies to not more than about 4 instructions. I am sorry I can not remember what they were.

Dave Bardon, Avocet

Reply to
Avocet Systems, Inc

I suspect you may be thinking of the 6809 processor. The '09 was indeed compatible at the mnemonics/assembly level only. The 68HC11 added some features from the 6809 architecture (a second index register, a 16 bit 'D' accumulator made from the concatenation of A&B, etc.) but this was done using unused entries in the 6800 opcode map.

All the manuals are available for download from Motorola. You have more than enough information to get a definitive answer by yourself...

One last thing: I know the 6800 opcodes are compatible with the

68HC11. But nobody said anything about their timing ....

Roberto Waltman.

[Please reply to the group, the return address is invalid]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

68HC11 is fully binary compatible to 6800 and 6802 ! You easy can check this by using my simulator, just load an object file compiled for 6800 and run the simulator as 68HC11.
Peter