IPC-2581

In message , Brad Velander writes

It was the consensus of those who started the NG's Some 20 years ago.

If that is what the group agreed than that is fine.

Every now and again we get people who join a particular NG and than want to ignore the conventions of that group. It is just plain rudeness.

The trouble is when the4 net started there was an entry qualification* nor they let in anyone and the level of discourse in some groups is akin to a kindergarten.

*At one time you had to be at least an under grad in a scientific/computing discipline or at a government (or other) research site to even know the Internet existed. Now any boorish idiot can get on .
Chris H

... snip ...

The answer is 'yes'. I like to keep the correspondence understandable, and properly snipped.

 [page]:
            Try the download section.
Reply to
CBFalconer

... snip ...

I believe so. I think that newsgroups where I have made noises are generally in better shape than a random group. Part of the problem is new users, who just don't know any better. Another part is silly systems than encourage top-posting.

 [page]:
            Try the download section.
Reply to
CBFalconer

Well Chuck, You're the first I have ever heard of bottom posting emails. Inter-mixed quite possibly and I do it myself for certian types of emails/content. But I certainly don't need to read the original posts over and over again with every reply before I reach the new original thoughts of the current poster. But the post initiating my response is there like a footnote or appendix if anybody needs such reference/memory assistance.

And I despise bottom posts because I don't want to search for their new original thoughts/comments through the prior comments and thoughts that I have already read, possibly several times. However, Usenet saw fit to make most forums unmoderated and without such silly rules so it is not my spot to critique others unless they are breaking a definite rule or actually being rude and obnoxious, not simply because I don't personally like their posting format.

--
Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

"CBFalconer"  wrote in message
> Brad Velander wrote:
>>
> ... snip ...
>>
>> Let me ask, do you bottom post your emails? Now I don't know how
>> you will answer but I have never seen anybody bottom post an
>> email. Why not if you think it is so important to forum posts,
>> what's the difference?
>
> The answer is 'yes'.  I like to keep the correspondence
> understandable, and properly snipped.
>
> --
> [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
> [page]:
>            Try the download section.
Reply to
Brad Velander

Chris, It was not the concensus of those that started the NGs. If it was, why can you not supply any Usenet versions of these documents? Actually exactly the opposite, Usenet documents explain quite extensively how they are free and open without restriction and only moderated if the NG is a moderated group.

No matter how hard you pine, the ARPAnet is not coming back. Join this century sometime soon.

You're perfect proof of your last statement. The boorish part fits nicely since you fail to acknowledge the right of unmoderated groups to free and unrestricted dialogue without interference from others like yourself who have silly simplistic issues with posting style rather than content or ideas.

-- Sincerely, Brad Velander.

Reply to
Brad Velander

In message , Brad Velander writes

Because it was 20+ years ago.

Not usually. The charters etc do contain the rules

Never been on ARPAnet.

Not at all. There is a general social convention of how we all behave politely. Every now and again some one crashes in and says "I will do it my way even if those here think it rude".

It is simple manners. Though CBF can get a bit pedantic about it.

Chris H

In message , Brad Velander writes

It has been the norm in the 50+ NG's I have been on over the last 18 years on line.

I tend to prefer that myself.

I agree, you have to trim posts. The point you need to remember is that each email needs to stand alone.

This is not correct almost every NG has a charter and rules as you will know, if like me, you have actually created an NG. The few that don't are some of the original ones from before the great name change. That was before I came on line 18 years ago.

Chris H

Well you will find very small group of people even bothering to read your posts.

Surprise surprise I will not see any response he ,may make to this.

    PC Services
 Timing Diagram Font
  GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

ter-mixed

But I

ter.

x if

ake

ot to

ing

sting

So who the hell are you talking to???

Reply to
rickman

Wow ... I feel odd ;)

Bottom posting (with judicious trimming) is just a special case of intermixing where there is only a single point of discussion.

Then perhaps you are not holding enough simultaneous e-mail conversations or have an unusual ability to juggle those conversations in your head. The problem gets worse when the subject line diverges from the actual topic of conversation.

--
Michael N. Moran           (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct.         (c) 678 521 5460

"So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains
  and we never even know we have the key."
"Already Gone" by Jack Tempchin (recorded by The Eagles)

The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1
Reply to
Michael N. Moran

Well, since you refuse to accept the standards and continue to top-post, I refuse to accept them. PLONK. Enjoy.

 [page]:
            Try the download section.
Reply to
CBFalconer

Inter-mixed

. But I .....

being

posting

I have just ascended something, what are they called?

Nurse who is this strange man making noises?=20

--=20 Paul Carpenter | snipped-for-privacy@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk PC Services Timing Diagram Font GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny For those web sites you hate

Reply to
Paul Carpenter

could it be that your mean "full quote"?

Then you didn't read Chuck's mail correctly. He trimmed the quoted text.

Oliver

--
Oliver Betz, Munich
despammed.com might be broken, use Reply-To:

Reply to
rickman