How to solder wires to target boards

Greetings, This is very primitive, but how do you solder wires to target boards that have holes and not solid pads (eg. MSP430 EZ board from TI) ?

Also what wire thickness do you recommend using?

Thank you,

Reply to
amerdsp

I'd probably solder on a 2x7 pin header and either use jumper wires

or similar, or a 14-pin IDC header and ribbon cable. The pre-made jumpers are convenient but it's also easy enough to roll yer own.

If you do want/need to make a permanent solder connection, you're probably not pulling more than a few 10s of mA even on Vcc/Gnd so whatever "hookup wire" you had around would be okay.

Reply to
Rich Webb

DON'T use any of these:

Donald

You can also buy the DIP part from Digikey/Mouser/etc and use a breadboard. You just need to connect 3 (or 4) wires to the usb board for programming (power optional).

-- mmihai

Reply to
mmihai

If it doesn't get moved around or bent a lot I often take a piece of CAT-5 and unravel some wires out of that. Then you have eight different color codes which makes the connections at the other end easier.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to