hardware bring up

What is "hardware bring-up" in  ur terms?

Re: hardware bring up

Hmmm, ONE question, say 20% of 6 billion potential respondents,
I'd say you're looking at >= ONE BILLION answers :-)

For what it's worth, here's ONE of mine:
It's about initialising a machine, from the totally off (no power etc.)
state, to the point that one can start running a "meaningful" application,
in other words, writing appropriate values to all relevant registers in the
correct sequence, to make the machine behave as advertised.

--
Cecil

Re: hardware bring up

I've also seen the term used in the context of breathing life into a
newly-designed PCB (or system). Often the prudent way to do that is to
partially populate it, check it out, then add a bit more, check it out, etc
until the whole thing is running. With a CPU card, one usually also writes
some test/diagnostic stubs to assist in the process - minimal code that does
just enough to initialise and test the hardware.

YMMV.

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com

Re: hardware bring up

That's the way I normally use the phrase, but I've also seen it used in
the context of restarting a system or device that has been powered down
for a long time, for example an aircraft that's been in a museum for 10
years :)

Re: hardware bring up

I doubt that anyone here can speak or write the language of ancient
Ur.  You might do better on some newsgroup dealing with archeology.

Re: hardware bring up

Taking a bit of a guess I think what Vinay was after is:-

  Hardware Bring-up

 The process by which a programmable system is powered up and brought to
full operation of all its sub-systems, proven to be working within its
published performance criteria and made ready to accept the application
software.