Getting the board made

I have designed a board using Eagle and will be working on panelizing
the image and generating Gerber files.  I think I can handle that.  But
I have been looking at low cost PCB vendors and am not finding much.

I see lots of ads for what seems to be very low cost boards, but I am
finding that they often have restrictions that don't allow me to use
them.  The most common is a restriction on putting multiple images on a
panel.  My board is only 0.5" x 0.6"!  It is silly to pay $10 each when
I can put 20 or more on a panel and still have it well under the
smallest standard size they provide.

Can anyone recommend a PCB vendor who will allow you to panelize a small
board and still provide prototypes for under $100?

Re: Getting the board made

www.eurocircuits.com

Rene

Re: Getting the board made

Ok, how about vendors in the US?  I expect the shipping costs and delays
would make overseas vendors impractical for protos.

Re: Getting the board made

Oops,
As European, I assume everyone else to be European too and
therefore the world ends at the boundaries of Europe.
;-)

Rene

Re: Getting the board made

Hmmm, was this a friendly jab at Americans?   I have even seen us
criticized for using the term Americans since that really should apply
to countries in two *continents*.  I don't mind.  I certainly can't say
we aren't guilty of thinking that the US is at the center of the map.

Re: Getting the board made

Sort of. Almost.
Without telling us that you're interested in american companies, you
assumed that you'd get american companies. Neither your sender adress,
nor your signature didn't hint your location.
I likewise didn't think any further and assumed you to be european.
Sorry about that.

Rene

Re: Getting the board made
Hi, just put multiple images on your original design.

Re: Getting the board made

All of the vendors I have found that have low pricing specifically
prohibit this.  I even got a call back from one and he argued that the
"industry" could not afford this.  He seemed to think that it was
reasonable to charge me $13 each for 0.3 sq inch boards.  :)

I found one that *requires* you to panelize boards that are below a
minimum size.  I have been told before that they have trouble doing the
routing on very small boards since it is hard to hold them while the
last ones are cut out.

I might try to send them my files panelized anyway and see if they
actually look at them.  Or I could disguise them by adding traces
between the rows and columns, but what a stupid thing to have to do!

Re: Getting the board made
Ok try this lot.  www.myropcb.com

Re: Getting the board made

Olimex approves multiple simelar images - no problem I have done this
several times :-)

Cheers

Klaus

Re: Getting the board made

http://www.4pcb.com /

Fast and friendly service, good people, excellent
work.  We use them exclusively for prototypes.

Re: Getting the board made

    Advanced Circuits (4pcb.com) does do good work just document your order
and instructions very well.  I've had nothing but excellent end product
from them but their office staff is problematic, especially one lady who
intentionally charged my credit card from $550 more than authorized.  I
had to threaten them with filing a federal interstate fraud complaint to
get it reversed.  And that was not the first incident with them.

    By the way, if they check and discover that you've put your designs into
an array they'll charge another $50/order.  Reasonable I think.

-- Regards, Albert
AM Research, Inc.                  The Embedded Systems Experts
http://www.amresearch.com 916.780.7623

Re: Getting the board made

They also have a cheaper service if you don't need solder masking.
the website is www.barebonespcb.com by the same company Advanced Circuits.

Remove "HeadFromButt", before replying by email.

Re: Getting the board made

Most PCB suppliers prefer to do their own panelisation.

Olimex: http://www.olimex.com are quite inexpensive. They are in
Bulgaria but you should still find them cheaper than US suppliers even
when postage is added. They use Eagle themselves, and I think they can
work from Eagle files. Quality is fine for prototypes. Not very high
tech (8/8 design rules and quite big vias) but that is probably OK for you.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
Email: snipped-for-privacy@dsl.pipex.com

;-)  I researched 20+ PCB houses for a 1" x 2" PCB some time back, and I
found the same thing.  That, and the magic price seems to be $100 per
order.

http://www.olimex.com seems to be the exception.  They get high marks
from a lot of folks, they'll do orders as small as one board for cheap,
and they panelize / de-panelize for free.  If memory serves, they charge
by dimensions, with a minimum billing unit of 1" per board (though
they'll mill smaller).

Yes, they are European, but the only board house I found that fits the
bill.  For $26, it's worth a try.  The shipping delay/cost to USA
doesn't appear to be significant.

Also, I've been very happy with the work from http://www.4pcb.com
(another recommendation here), but they don't allow panelization.
However, they do have an excellent tool you should try at
http://www.freedfm.com - it'll run a pre-flight check on your gerber
files.

Re: Getting the board made

Olimex (www.olimex.com) and they perform panelization for you per your
instructions (for free). They accept Eagle files directly.

Not in US, but US is not the world, and express shipment is here to balance
cost vs leadtime.

--
Christian - Grenoble

Re: Getting the board made
Try www.Electro-Circuits.com They were ready to satisfy all my demands
2 years ago. They are in Bltimore, MD

Re: Getting the board made

One more I have used numerous times.

www.apcircuits.com

Re: Getting the board made

I've used APC's proto service to make a panel containing three boards
- I panelized them myself, and had to cut the finished boards apart
when I got them back.  That way, the job looked like one board to them
- if I wanted them to cut the panel, then they'd see it as three
boards, and probably charge accordingly.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
Re: Getting the board made

AP Circuits does not care if you put multiple boards on a panel,
as they charge by the square inch.  However for prototypes, they
do not route the outline, and only cut it roughly with a shear.

They are a good company to use, as long as you don't want solder
mask or ident, as then they start getting too expensive.

Just my $0.02 worth,

Mike Anton

Site Timeline