GDB from ESD on a shoe string

Hello All and Lewin,

    I have purchased Lewins book, Embedded Systems Design.

    I loaded the GNU/GCC compiler, everything seems to work as described.

    I tried out the demo programs, and I get an .elf file as described.

    I tried to run GDB, no joy.

    As per the book ( page 159 ), I enter the command:

    "target rdi /dev/ttyS0" and it gives me
    "Could not open device "/dev/ttyS0"".

    The serial port works and I can see the Angle monitor on the screen. (
using Teraterm)

    How do I fix this ?????

    Google shows that this probem is not new, but does not
    give any advice on how to fix it.

    My system is Win2K. ( yes, I closed Teraterm first )

    Thanks

Re: GDB from ESD on a shoe string

[...]

Try "target rdi COM1" or "target rdi COM2"

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yow! I want my nose
                                  at               in lights!

Re: GDB from ESD on a shoe string
Hi Grant,

Can you give any ideas why this would happen on SOME systems, and not
others?

During the final edits, I went through the book and tried everything - line
by line - on Cygwin as well as Linux, to avoid embarrassing (to me) postings
like this one. I thought I had weeded out such errors. Is it possible that
the underlying Windows environment affects how the serial ports are
accessible? Or did I just miss something (maybe I instinctively used com1
instead of /dev/ttyS0 when I tested on Windows).

My test environment was Windows XP logged in as Administrator.

Re: GDB from ESD on a shoe string
Lewin,

    I could not get the package to compile on my XP box.

    I went to 2K just because it was there next to me.

    Your book has got me off the fence as far as GCC is concerned.

    I have been downloading all kinds of versions that "should"
    work on WinXX machines, but they never do.
    This is the first time I have seen, first hand,
    any version of GCC working.

    Thanks for a great starter book.
    ( starting over again after 20 years of embedded work )

    Thanks

Re: GDB from ESD on a shoe string

This is really strange. I think you emailed me, and I responded to
that email, but for the benefit of people who are reading cae I'll
summarize what I believe to be the "important" points of my test XP
system:

* Windows XP Professional with no service packs, single NTFS volume(+)
* Via Epia motherboard, 256Mb RAM, 800MHz C3 processor, one serial
port on motherboard
* Logged in as Administrator (Not as a user with administrative
privileges, but actually as Administrator)
* Cygwin installed to c:\cygwin

(+) - This can make a difference.

This is pretty much why I wrote the book. All the references I could
find just didn't work for me.

Glad you found the book useful, though.

Re: GDB from ESD on a shoe string

No service packs is your problem.
Sp1 is usual minimum install + latest secuirty patches.

Also logged in as Admin could be a problem as well.
Its not always possible to get access to log in as admin.

Got a copy of your book as well.
Had a quick browse and looks quite good.
Haven't had the time to go through it thoroughly yet.

Thanks

Alex Gibson

Re: GDB from ESD on a shoe string

/dev/ttyS0 doesn't work for me either on win2k.
If I try target rdi com1, I see the serial port led(s) flash and then
it hangs. I still haven't been able to get gdb to talk to the angel
debug monitor on the eb40a board. I do not have hotsync etc running
either. If I reset the board with hyperterm turned on I see angel
sending out stuff including "Angel Debug Monitor" and "EB40A" strings
plus some binary. Also, I did execute the remotebaud command with 9600
baud.

I've read Lewin's book and it is excellent. I think the problem is
with gdb. Is there a fix for it?

thanks,
William

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 00:25:31 GMT, "Lewin A.R.W. Edwards"