FTDI FT232BM

Hi, i'm new in using FTDI FT232BM. Currently, i'm want to send bulk o
information from micro-controller to PC using USB. I've built a boar
and the device is connected to my pc usb port
My PC is able to detect the chip but i couldn't install the drive
which i downloaded from FTDI website
My PC detects it as Unknown Device
Is it necessary to program the eeprom first
Anyone could help me

Thanks.

Re: FTDI FT232BM

No. if the eeprom is not programmed, the device has a PID of 6001 and will
work with the provided drivers from the FTDI website. I have seen with our
products that if the PC sees an unknown device, there was always a problem
with the connection to the (even empty) eeprom.

Meindert

Re: FTDI FT232BM

To be able to program the EEPROM, the device has be installed properly
before MPROG recognizes it. Have you followed the datasheet? You did not
forget the 1K5 resistor from the D+ line to /RSTOUT? Also the two resistors
on the EEPROM? Does it oscillate at 6MHz?

Jeroen

Re: FTDI FT232BM

Try to install the driver with disconnected EEPROM...

Re: FTDI FT232BM
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 01:57:41 -0600, mychua1221@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid

If the eeprom already has something in it this may be confusing things.
If the eeprom is blank, it could be that you already have a part-installation
from another FTDI
device.
Shorts on the EEPROM lines can make it do VERY strange things.

The setup should be one of the following :
a) blank or no eeprom, using drivers as-is
b) eeprom programmed with a VID/PID using MPROG, and the driver .inf files
modified as described in
the Mprog online help to reflect the changed VID/PID.
(you can make up a PID for experimentation, FTDI will allocate you one for
production  if you ask
them).

Re: FTDI FT232BM
Hi Zerocool,

I don't know enough about the chip, but AFAIK there are many usb
devices, that should not connected to the pc, bevore installing the
driver for it. Take a look in the readme.

HTH
Michael
--
Die eMail passt, und wer nicht spamt, kommt auch durch.
Gelesen wird jedoch nur ab und zu.

Re: FTDI FT232BM

AFAIK any device may be connected to a PC running windows. Windows will then
*always* ask for drivers.

Anyway, the FTDI chips work that way. There is no installation program that
allows you to pre-install. just plug in the device and windows does the rest
(ask you for a disk or location).

Meindert

Re: FTDI FT232BM
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:04:32 +0100, "Meindert Sprang"

You could make an install package for your application that included the FTDI
drivers, using a
custom PID, so they were installed ready for when the user plugs the device in,

Re: FTDI FT232BM
then
that
rest
FTDI drivers, using a
device in,

That is correct.

Meindert

Re: FTDI FT232BM
Hi Meindert,

You are right, M$ suggest this as the only way. But some developers
making obscure things, so there devices will only work, if you are
"installed" somewhat from there driver cd, before the 1st connect.
Otherwise you have lost. In the past, I had seen some samples (scanner,
mouses ...) with my own eyes.

Thanks, for information. I don't know enough about the chip, it was only
my 1st idea.

Michael
--
Die eMail passt, und wer nicht spamt, kommt auch durch.
Gelesen wird jedoch nur ab und zu.

Re: FTDI FT232BM

This is  just a recommendation that comes with some products to simplify
installation.
 If the application software  is installed first, it can install drivers so
Windoze finds and
installs them automagically when the device is plugged in instead of asking the
user where to find
them (and they may be buried in a compressed install file).

re:FTDI FT232BM
thanks for all advic
i replaced a new IC and it works..
thank yo