Does Power Line Carrier work during power outages?

Does PLC still work when there is no AC power on the line - i.e. during
a power outage?

When I say "PLC", I mean PLC in general - I'm not referring to just one
particular prototocl (such as X-10).

I realize that the answer may depend on the PLC chipset/standard used.
If you know the answer for a specific chipset, please let me know.

Here's why I'm asking - suppose I have a PLC device such as phone jack
extender and suppose it has battery backup. I would want that device to
work during a power outage...

Thanks.

Chris.

Re: Does Power Line Carrier work during power outages?

Technically most PLS stuff would work without power on the line. It just
uses the wiring as transport medium. Some, like X10, synchronize with
the AC power and would not work without.

However, for most application the point is moot as the actuel PLC modem
is powered from the line and will not work without power.

Markus

Re: Does Power Line Carrier work during power outages?

i guess you should get a UPS to OP that PLC and all other nice little
Either and CAN devices and maybe a blue tooth device thrown in here and
there.

Site Timeline