Cheap batteries

What do manufacturers do to make cheap batteries?  I
got some cheap cell phone batteries that came from
Hong Kong and were made in China.  After very limited
use, the batteries failed.  I can't imagine how they
could have been built such that they'd had such a
limited life.  Chemistry is chemistry is...

Re: Cheap batteries
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:25:38 PST, in comp.arch.embedded

profit margin is profit margin,

martin

Re: Cheap batteries

... highly dependant on the processes used in the manufacture,
purity, material preparation, etc ...

--
Nobby

Re: Cheap batteries

Try weighing one and then wweighing a name-brand battery.

--
Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/
Re: Cheap batteries

I can assure you then when it comes to batteries supplied
in the box with a consumer products like cell phones, the item
was selected as the cheapest one that met the spec (which
does not include a longevity test).  The brand of the cell phone
manafacturer is then stamped on afterwards to make this
cheapest of the cheap battery the branded item.

They cost under 2 dollars each, and when you need to buy a
new one they expect you to pay 30-40 dollars for it.  I don't
know about the US, but in Europe that's more than the
subsidized cost of the phone.  Go figure.

And finally, you can't use the country that I am currently
posting from to establish where I learnt the above.

tim

Site Timeline