C++ Codes for embedded applications

Hi there,
I am looking for some C++(object oriented) source codes of applications
designed for embedded systems. I am going to use them as benchmarks.
does anybody know some web-sites where to get these sort of c++ source
codes ?

Regards.
--modarressi

Re: C++ Codes for embedded applications

I know that thgere's at least one C++ example on the mspgcc site. It
calims it was written just to test that c++ part of mspgcc actually
produces  vaguely sensible code, not as a working program, and not
wanting c++ I've never really examined it.

Paul Burke

Re: C++ Codes for embedded applications

I think you will find that the use of C++ in embedded systems is
quite rare.  C, however, is common.  Next comes assembly.

Re: C++ Codes for embedded applications

   It depends on the size of the system, specifically of the
processor. What have traditionally been in embedded products, 8-bit
and 16-bit microcontrollers, generally only have C compilers
available, but 'larger' 32-bit processors have C++ compilers for them,
and often run 'big' OS'es such as Linux or some flavor of Windows.

   C compilers, even for legacy 8-bit processors, are finally good
enough that writing in assembly is increasingly uncommon. It's still
nice to know something about assembly, but modern C is a Good Thing.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

Re: C++ Codes for embedded applications

Please don't start that religious war again. Some believe on C, others
on FORTH, yet others assembler, Java, PL/M or Structured Spaghetti. Let
each decide his preferred path to salvation.

Cuius ingenior, eius utensil.

Paul Burke

Re: C++ Codes for embedded applications

   This wasn't a religious statement, rather an observation. I didn't
say C was 'best' but that current C compilers for small processors are
now 'good enough'.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

Re: C++ Codes for embedded applications

Here we go again...

--
Michael N. Moran           (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct.         (c) 678 521 5460

--

Wing Wong.
Webpage: http://wing.ucc.asn.au

Re: C++ Codes for embedded applications

Feel free to look as the OSCL. It's *all* C++ .

Read the "Geek Stuff" here:

http://mnmoran.org

The OSCL (http://mnmoran.org/oscl-v1.1.tgz ) is a source code library
intended for embedded systems.

You'll need the BENV (http://mnmoran.org/benvc.tgz if you want to
compile a "native" test project under Linux.

A largish native Linux multi-threaded test project
is http://mnmoran.org/first.tgz .

--
Michael N. Moran           (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct.         (c) 678 521 5460
Re: C++ Codes for embedded applications

Now that depends on the definition of an embedded system, doesn't it.
Linux will not run on a PIC or AVR.

Re: C++ Codes for embedded applications

As we've seen in this forum, there *is* a wide range that
falls under the definition of "embedded."

However, note that the "test project" is only intended
to demonstrate some of the more complex systems contained
within the OSCL without cross-compiling.

Much of the OSCL was developed while running under
the KRUX "RTOS" (contained within the OSCL) on MPC8xx
and CPU32 platforms. More recently, I have been applying
the OSCL in the reactive portions of embedded Linux
based applications using pthreads ... but that's a
relatively new use.

The OSCL is project/platform independent, and was developed
with the needs of embedded systems in mind
(e.g. no hidden malloc/free new/delete.)

The OSCL was never designed for extremely resource
constrained embedded systems.

The OP wasn't very specific about *his* definition of
"embedded."

Please ... no "that's not embedded" wars :-)

--
Michael N. Moran           (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct.         (c) 678 521 5460
Re: C++ Codes for embedded applications
On Fri, 20 May 2005 07:09:03 -0400, "Michael N. Moran"

[...]
[...]

"Embedded" is (IMHO) the least specific of all computing categories.
It can includes aspects of pretty much _every_ other computing
subject, including system programming, communications, databases,
security, cryptography, DSP, linear algebra, discrete and/or
continuous simulation, graphics, information theory, and anything else
I haven't mentioned. I personally have worked on "embedded" systems
ranging from a PIC with 0.5k of OTP PROM and less than 32 bytes of
memory, up to 32-bit processors with multiple megabytes of RAM, hard
drives, TCP/IP and NFS (I once evaluated a 64-bit MIPS processor for
an embedded system, but that project was cancelled).

Even so, the last project I worked on that was programmed entirely in
assembler was an avionics (navigation) system which was released in
1983.  Every other project was written primarily in some higher-level
language, almost always C (Exceptions: one large C++ project, some
hardware bring-ups that used Forth, and another avionics written in
PLM-80 back in the mid-1980s).

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: C++ Codes for embedded applications

I just find the way people ask, as if it was a seminar, or article.

"I would like to learn internal combustion engines". (model air planes to
ships) ( the range is about the same)

It just screams I did no research. I do not even know the size of the
subject.  I just want to learn to program one of them there computers.

9

Re: C++ Codes for embedded applications

Yes there are a lot of ignorant dumb people out there. Google groups has
given them access to usenet where there are enough mugs prepared to read,
interpret, and answer their low quality questions.

Next time you see a question like this check the headers, in my experience
90% originate from google.

Site Timeline