Buildroot 2011.11 on x86_64 - no modules are loaded at startup

Hi,

I compiled the buildroot-2011.11 for x86_64 platform. Unfortunately after the startup the device drivers are not loaded. I've tried to use both mdev and udev, and results are the same. I have the following settings in the kernel configuration: CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y

When I load the drivers manually: eg. (on qemu-system-x86_64): #modprobe e1000 #modprobe uhci_hcd

the NIC and the USB device (passed by -usbdevice host:0xabcd:0xcdef) are recognized correctly. The syptoms were the same on the real hardware (E350M1 board) which currently not available to me.

The "mount" command returns the following: rootfs on / type rootfs (rw,relatime) devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=998680k,nr_inodes=249670,mode=755) proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime) devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000) tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,relatime,mode=777) tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime)

What's interesting, the modinfo in the buildroot environment does not report information related to udev/mdev for modules. On my host machine however the modinfo command reports correctly the list of PCI aliases for the same modules.

I don't know if I have misconfigured something, or if there is something wrong with the buildroot 2011.11? I have sent more detailed report together with my configuration files to buildroot mailing list:

-- TIA & Regards, Wojtek

Reply to
wzab

OK. The solution was simple. The modprobe was installed in /usr/sbin, while udev rules called it as /sbin/modprobe. I've added a symlink /sbin/modprobe pointing to /usr/sbin/modprobe, and modules are loaded autmatically!

-- Regards, Wojtek

Reply to
wzab