AVR to ARM

I am thinking of moving to an ARM of some description for our product in the next revision (we need some good fp performance).

I am wondering if anyone else has made this transition and what the effect on code size was.

We currently use about 110kb of AVR code. So I am assuming that 512kb of flash for an arm is probably tight? Can anyone comment?

Thanks Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Mason

the

IMHO, it should fit, especially if the ARM code is in Thumb mode.

I moved an application from Intel 80C188 to Atmel AT91R40008 (ARM7TDMI). The code size stayed substantially the same (40064 bytes vs 40016 bytes). The Intel code was compiled with the Borland C v. 4.5 and the ARM/Thumb code with GNU C (gcc-2.95).

The code may be even a little shorter, if the application calculates with

16- or 32-bit entities, as an ARM will handle the operation in one instruction but the AVR needs many.

HTH

Tauno Voipio tauno voipio @ iki fi

Reply to
Tauno Voipio