Any serial analyzer recommendations?

Hi All,

I need to monitor the serial traffic between a PC and an embedded system. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive serial analyzer to do this? Bonus if it works with Linux as well as Windows.

Thanks, Fred

Reply to
fredbasset1000

I use a LogicPort to do that. The software (Windows only, I'm afraid) includes interpreters for asynchronous ("RS-232") serial protocols as well as SPI, I2C, and CAN.

The advantage over multiple physical (or USB-emulated) serial ports is that you get to observe/record the timing relationship between the serial data lines, as well as monitoring other digital signals on the embedded system.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

The program Portmon may work. AFAIK now for free download on the MS server. No idea what the Linux equivalent would be.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You can roll your own with pseudo devices: /dev/pty & /dev/tty

Reply to
linnix

Hi Fred,

What kind of serial communications are you trying to look at? Some things do better than others if you're looking for certain protocols?? For instance, if you're trying to look at modem and PPP traffic, you might look at my signature. ;^) Someone else mentioned PORTMON, which is a good generic serial port monitor for Windows:

Patrick ========= For LAN/WAN Protocol Analysis, check out PacketView Pro! ========= Patrick Klos Email: snipped-for-privacy@klos.com Klos Technologies, Inc. Web:

Patrick Klos