1pSec Jitter - Page 2

Re: 1pSec Jitter

Or more likely that the audio attenuation is frequency (and
temperature dependant).

If you have a lightning that hits close to you, it might still be 1-2
km long. You will hear the local hit immediately with all high
frequency components present.

However, the sound from the tail of the lightning will arrive 6
seconds later with all high frequency components attenuated and you
will just hear the rumble.

Paul

Re: 1pSec Jitter

 I assumed something in our house wiring was arcing over.  Speed of
light, you know.

Re: 1pSec Jitter

What has this got to do with?  Include context - most usenet users
cannot conveniently see preceding messages.  For how to do it with
the broken google interface, see below.  Read the referenced URL.

Re: 1pSec Jitter

I doubt it, although undoubtedly there is some amount of supersonic effect
considering the rapid heating pulse.  More likely the low frequencies are
bouncing off trees, houses, clouds and whatnot, which also fragment the
sound into a rumble (also attenuating high frequencies).

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.

Re: 1pSec Jitter

According to the Flight Test Engineer's Handbook, the speed of
sound varies with temperature.  Nothing about frequency in the
equation(s).

Re: 1pSec Jitter
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:45:37 -0500, Spehro Pefhany

Clips the negative swings, for sure.

John

Re: 1pSec Jitter

Yep, 20 uPa RMS to 1 ATM or 101 kPa RMS is 0 to 194 dB SPL; from the
lowest threshold of hearing for sensitive youngsters to sound levels
on the launchpad during a large rocket launch, way into the nonlinear
region.  Now if we could only find a microphone and preamp to cover
the entire range ...

Re: 1pSec Jitter

I'd think that when you get to a rocket launch or a large bomb blast, you
probably won't need to worry too much about preamplifying the signal...
;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Re: 1pSec Jitter

Then you'd have to buy the amp and speaker to reproduce the recording!

Tim.

Re: 1pSec Jitter
Technici should be open minded:
   "nothing is impossible untill it's proven"
at my work we've a 128 channel 32 (or 34) bit AD converter !!
Stef

Re: 1pSec Jitter

I was getting ~27 bits out of a ADS1252 (after averaging). That is
only a $6 part.

--

John Devereux

Re: 1pSec Jitter

Just curious: what is it used for ?

--
:wq
^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C

Re: 1pSec Jitter

magnetoencephalography (MEG), functional brain imaging,
by measuring the magnetic field form active neurons with squids.
Stef

Re: 1pSec Jitter

Ok, that *is* a bit more high-tech then recording and playing a bit of
music, I guess :) Interesting technology !

Poor squids!

--
:wq
^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C

Re: 1pSec Jitter

Stef probably means SQUIDs. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Re: 1pSec Jitter

Working for Peter Hagoort?

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: 1pSec Jitter
No, at the ID
Stef

Re: 1pSec Jitter

"ID" ? The Donders Centre does have an MEG

http://www.ru.nl/aspx/get.aspx?xdl=/views/run/xdl/page&SitIdt11%9&VarIdt96%&ItmIdt18%668

but I guess you'd have to be tied up to the Radboud hospital

http://www.ru.nl/aspx/get.aspx?xdl=/views/run/xdl/page&SitIdt11%9&VarIdt96%&ItmIdt18%668

but none of the departments listed there seem to qualify as "ID"

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: 1pSec Jitter
ik dacht dat je bekend was ...
  The Donders Centre does have an MEG
http://www.ru.nl/aspx/get.aspx?xdl=/views/run/xdl/page&SitIdt11%9&VarIdt96%&ItmIdt18%668
inderdaad
http://www.ru.nl/aspx/get.aspx?xdl=/views/run/xdl/page&SitIdt11%9&VarIdt96%&ItmIdt18%668
dat komt omdat de ID = Instrumentele Dienst,
oftewel een ondersteunende dienst,
die alleen op de "medewerkers" pagina is terug te vinden

cheers,
Stef

Re: 1pSec Jitter

wrote:

<snip>

Wat dom van mij! Ik was wirksam bij de Technsiche Zaken van be
B-faculteit 1973-79 en af en toe waren wij - verassent zelten - over
iets bezig met julie ...

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Site Timeline