What to put in a HIGH SCHOOL intro electronics course?

A Schottky would.

Reply to
jurb6006

6502 ? ;0 time warp!

LDA $00,Y STA $01,X JMP ($0300)

The list goes on.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

napisal w wiadomosci news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com...

In the circuit the electrons can flow from the ground into the antenna only.

Why and for what? It is the question for students. Can you give them the proper answer? S*

Reply to
szczepan bialek

Now is XXI century. It is the last time to start teaching about the impulse currents:

The Ruhmcorff coil produces the impulse current:

Such coil should be in each high school. E. Thomson (19 years old) discovered the electric waves transmitted by the coil. The waves transfered the electric charge through the walls in the big building. It was obvious for him that the waves are usefull for the long distance comunication. S*

Reply to
szczepan bialek

No. That would result in more unemployable people.

Reply to
jurb6006

ay.

I started a blog for very similar purpose, last year:

transistorize.me

It might inspire you. The site is support a workshop I do at the Maker Fair e (free parts, no pre-requisite knowledge). Though, the majority of my audi ence would be 5-8 year-old kids. I don't try to "teach electronics" much, j ust teach how to build the one circuit, and modify it. The goal is just to spark an interest. Good luck,

- Rich S.

Reply to
richs

Well, I put a course description out there, we'll see what I get for interest in a couple of days.

Have scope, (and a couple of less-likely scope-shaped objects_) have counters (through I don't know that I'll use them), have multimeters, have an AADE L/C meter, have a millivolt potentiometer with standard cell (so retro...) have analog meters, have various irons and a hot-air rework station.

Might actually break down and try lead-free solder (something super-skinny from Multicore by preference, based on my leaded solder history), though that continues to be far less of a concern in the US than the EU (I have always and will continue to advise hand-washing after soldering and before eating, but there's no need to get silly about leaded solder - teen-agers are fairly unlikely to eat the stuff directly.) I believe it's still miserable .vs. tin-lead but I'd hope that most of the major problems it used to have have been resolved by now.

I'm unlikely to go for the power supply both for the "not so interesting" (and often makes sense to just buy) and more importantly not too sure I want to unleash the kids and line voltage, though we will probably visit that subject for a few minutes just to sweep out any utter ignorance.

I think I will give some variant of the crystal set a whirl if only for the opportunity to play with the foil and waxed paper capacitors. Probably not first out of the gate, though. Something flashier first.

I have doubts that I'll bother with any resistor color code mnemonic - the one stuck in my head is not suitable, and most of the "clean" versions at wikipedia don't resonate - and there are no color codes on SMD resistors - plus this is a generation that is wildly unlikely not to have a device (or three) they can look them up with on hand at any given moment. I also never much liked the fact that little complexities like silver and gold multipliers are glossed over by focussing on memorizing the basic code. Point them at a full chart, make sure they can use it, and let it be. If electronics takes, they'll either get around to learning it (if they even use through hole components) or find an app for their phone that will tell them resistor values when they take a picture ;-) (you may think I'm kidding - I'm not - if it's not already out there, I strongly suspect it will be.)

Ecnerwal

Really, you are not likely to get very far in 40 hours. Start with DC, use the easiest example, like my car headlight thing, 36 watts etc. The little speaker used as a mic brings in AC as well as the relation of electricity t o magnetism. Both are well displayed by an old analog CRO. The problem is t he screen size, if you are up in front will they be able to see it ?

Biggest scope screen I have seen is an HP54501A, and though it is a CRO it is not analog. I think there is alot of value in them watching the dot move across the screen and then seeing to turn up the timebase. I have a Tek 76

03 around that has a real 7" screen unlike the storage version that only us e about 5.5" of the screen because of the mesh storage system. I have a 561 A, while it has a HV problem, produces a trace bright enough that with a le ns it could be projected. Maybe all you need is a video camera and a TV. Th e school might already have them for you to use, dunno.

And not only with the speaker as a microphone, how about a function generat or and amp feeding a speaker so they can see the cone move. Of course they will have sen that but maybe seeing it that way might enlighten a bit. And maybe bring in a musical instrument and play it through all that. Just a li ttle primer on harmonics. An elcheapo keyboard with a;ot of voices might do well at that.

With the exception of basic Ohm's law I would not try too much math. You ca n go into impedance calculations around the end of the course. If you get t hat far in 40 hours I think you did pretty good. It is hard for people beca use this is all new to them. By the time I got any electronics in school I was already fixing things. I already had a scope and it taught me quite a b it at an early age.

One thing is I have little to suggest about hands on. Maybe the crystal rad io, but have each one of them do one or a class project ? It would be nice to do something. I just can't really think of much that will not take up to o much time.

Nother thing, will you have a budget for materials ? If you can spend OPM m aybe some perfboard, a few transistors and little elcheapo speakers and the y can build a small amp. I don't know. And that is not good because I alway s had a hard time learning in the abstract. Real world always worked better for me.

Maybe in conjunction with the crystal radio, build a transmitter ? You do t hat, but do it on a breadboard. Use the scope to demonstrate what it is doi ng to the carrier and then put the scope on the receiver.

Actually if you build the transmitter you won't need a long wire for the an tenna. You don't really need to demonstrate how to get WIXY 1260, (was a ve ry popular AM rock station before FM took over) you are demonstrating the p rinciple.

Reply to
jurb6006

That reminds me of another real high-school incident that took place that very same year (1965). Most homes in my town didn't have electricity then. Our teacher of basic physics brought a 90-volt radio battery to class and, to demonstrate that while high voltages are dangerous, lower voltages aren't, he pinched a terminal in each hand. Then one wise guy told him to touch both ends to his tongue. He did, and nearly cracked the blackboard with the back of his head.

We didn't dare laugh out loud but there was plenty of tittering.

Reply to
Pimpom

WOW!! I know the buzzz one gets on a 9-volt battery on the tongue. I would think that 90-volts would have to leave a scar or worse. It would seem that some teachers of the era were still learning.

It was a different time.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Yup, and today there would be a lawsuit and some group calling for the teacher's head and possibly an act of congress.

Reply to
jurb6006

Kids love LEDs. A few LEDs, batteries, resistors, clip leads would start some instincts for current and voltage and resistance. Maybe sneak in a DVM.

And it so much better now than when I was a kid.

The LEDs are much brighter, you can get them cheap without being floor sweepings from PolyPak or wherever, and they also come in blue and white, unlike back then with red, orange and green.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

A little before I got into high school, I got a copy of this book:

Mine was from Rat Shock, but now you can get it online. Anyway, it might qualify as a "lower speed" version of AoE. It starts out with the theory, and then discusses different kinds of components, from resistors and capacitors up to op-amps and TTL/CMOS digital ICs. The back several pages have project circuits to build.

Standard disclaimers apply: I don't get money or other consideration from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

"George Herold" napisal w wiadomosci news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com...

In the circuit the electrons can flow from the ground into the antenna only.

Why and for what? S*

Reply to
szczepan bialek

[Shameless plug:]

If you have a Windows system available and need a signal generator, please consider Daqarta. The signal generator (and most everything else except signal *inputs*) keeps working after the trial period, so it's absolutely FREE, forever.

Standard waveforms include sine, triangle, ramp (with adjustable slopes), square, and pulse (with adjustable bipolar phases and amplitudes). Also creates uniform, Gaussian, pink, or band-limited noise. In addition, it can create arbitrary waveforms that you define, or play an existing file repeatedly as the signal source.

You get up to 8 independent "streams" (which can be separate output channels if you have a multi-channel sound card... under $30). Each can be independently modulated via Burst, AM, FM, PWM (or Phase Modulation), or frequency Sweep. Streams can be used as modulation sources for other streams.

A real-time display shows the waveform(s) and you can sync to the modulation source... handy for showing stable FM waveforms, for example.

If you have any particular experiment or demonstration in mind, I will be glad to assist.

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v8.00 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter Frequency Counter, Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI FREE 8-channel Signal Generator, DaqMusiq generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

I'm sorry do you have a question about that "simplest" radio circuit?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ystal_radio_circuit.svg

Yes. Such radio works perfectly close to AM mast. Students should know what the electrons are "doing" in such circuit. S*

--
Ta wiadomo?? zosta?a sprawdzona na obecno?? wirus

szczepan bialek