Re: China Capacitors are Radioactive

Wiki says that 39 and 41 are stable.

lunatic fringe electronics

hmm, yeah other places agree, I wonder how I got that idea, I had the impression that 39 and 41 were just much less radioactive.

Jasen Betts

I always wondered how the term "Radio Active" came to be....

It has nothing to do with a Radio. If it did, everytime I turned on a radio, it would be radio active, because when it's playing, it's active.

I sort of figure the "RAD" has to do with radiation, but why did the word "radio" come to be used?

Reply to
oldschool

It derives from the latin 'radiare': 'to shine'. 'Radio' is the first person present tense: "I shine".

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

K is about the hottest stuff commonly around. Two others are old red (uranium colored) bricks, and thoriated Coleman lantern mantles.

lunatic fringe electronics

Bismuth (one of my favorite elements) is just barely radioactive. ~10^19 years according to wiki.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Europium is also very mildly radioactive--half of it is Eu 151, which has a half life of (5 +- 10)E18 years, i.e.

Ten years or so ago, I needed to put down some europium films to make fancy tunnel junctions, and I couldn't because the thin film folks at Watson weren't allowed to use radioactive materials. :(

A one-gram evaporator target would emit one alpha particle on average in a time

t = 1/(6.02e23 atoms/mol * 1g/ 151g/mol * ln(2) / (5e18 y * 3.16e7 s/y))

= 57175 seconds, i.e. about one every 16 hours.

Sigh.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Antique stores sometimes have old radium-dial clocks. Once you are dark adapted, if you look at them up close, there is a cool alpha-shot dancing pattern. You can see single alpha events.

They make nice pulses into a PMT too. I made it to the National Science Fair doing that. Baltimore that year. Ugh.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

And I thought it was only state institutions that had silly radioactivity laws/ rules.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yeah, it did. For the most part. But from stage 4 to what they now think is cured is pretty good. Required more than radiation but the radiation part was at least interesting. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Long may it wave. ;)

Cheers