PCB Layout Software Sucking

I am a grade 12 student. I used Express PCB in my Computer Engineering class too. I had to design PCBs with it and then had to export it to photoshop to line it up and print out multiple copies. Except for that, i think it was simple enough. What do you have in mind when you say that the software makes the process complex and time consuming?

Reply to
Omair

Hi, anyone here using a good board layout software, I have looked around and they all seem rubish, overly complicated interfaces that just slow you down and make the task far to time consuming and complex. The only one I have come accross that comes near to being usable is Express PCB. Also Im looking for any C/C++ WIN32 API developers that may be interested in working on a joint project to create a simple layout editor.

Thanks.

Reply to
Richard Harris

See my notes and links to some 60 ECAD programs at

Terry Pinnell Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

There's a horrible rule with layout (and capture) software: The more power you want, the harder it is to use :)

If you want support for 36+ layers, multi gigahertz routing, advanced autorouting, spice integration and all the other bells and whistles of high end solutions, then the simple fact of it being so configurable is going to make it hard (initially) to use.

Even Allegro Expert can be simple - once it is set up. Get the board up, position the cursor, Shift+F1 and start drawing a trace. I will admit it takes days to set up a new board though, once everything is done.

So the answer to your question is: If you have a simple board, yes it's difficult; but vendors don't see much money in the low end. As noted elsewhere in the thread, there are plenty of free- and share-ware solutions if you just have a simple board to do.

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

PADS is pretty good. But PCB layout is inherently complex, at least if you're doing semi-serious stuff like surface mount, multilayers, all that. Schematic netlist input/check is mandatory, support for changes, back annotation, ref desig resequencing, part library maintanance, pad stack editing, poured shapes, design rules and connectivity checking... you need all that stuff. PC layout is NOT just drawing; try using Autocad and see.

John

Most pacakges (Not Express PCB) require you to do about 4 mouse clicks just to draw a single trace. And before that you have to setup trace sizes etc.

When you try to do double layer PCB's with Express PCB you can't print the out withou lots of grid markers and grey background, If you want to do double layer PCB's you have to make two designs and then try line them up.

Reply to
Richard Harris

"Richard Harris" schreef in bericht news:ct50c5$sg0$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com...

just

If you are easily frustated, don't ever try Orcad Layout. Though, after a few years working with it you'll learn its quirks.

Jeroen

Reply to
Jeroen

So much to learn. So much to understand.

I have a habit of hitting some thing new head on. Presistance.

and

study

Reply to
Richard Harris

down

looking

Are you a 'C/C++ WIN32 API developer'?

DNA

Reply to
Genome

down

looking

Well, I'm a professional R&D design engineer, including PCB-routing and yes, layout is more complex as it appears at first glance, many things to be taken into account I've been using PCad the early years (upto V6), it was a magnificent package to even begin to understand layouts (PCad now taken over by I believe Altium - Protel? They made it real rubbish now) Latest I've been using Orcad Layout Plus, Capture CIS and Orcad Smartroute and even if not perfect it's far out one of the best and most intuitive having most of the high-end features Anything less than that is almost to be considered "junk usable for simple drawings"

I've seen Express-PCB once, looks a bit like Ultiboard to me... good for a hobbyist, but it all depends on your needs of course

And yes, starting a new layout-software project might be tempting, but already there are too many free things around.... it only takes the time to actually SEE how layout works

a bad masonrist ALWAYS accuses his tools for any faults you know....

Reply to
peterken

Yes.

and

Richard Harris

down

looking

Say Rich, Ya seem to be in a bit of a hurry? The stuff you are dealing with is not quite as straightforward as first glance. Without going into "Little Grasshopper" type jokes I would recommend a little more "lurking" and theoretical study before making sweeping statements. Don't always take the stuff you have been fed in study as absolute !! Best wishes in your efforts in an engrossing subject.

-- Regards ..... Rheilly Phoull

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

have

on

I'm not sure I understand.

You have identified the problems and you have the skills.

Therefore?

DNA

Reply to
Genome