OT: Goodbye to the American Dream

Goodbye to the American Dream... Thanks to Obama...

...Jim Thompson

That is mostly ideological blather. Gay marriage isn't wrecking the economy.

What's really whacking the middle class and the college grads is

  1. Massive importation of cheap, often off-the-books, immigrant labor.
  2. Tax policies that punish companies for hiring.
  3. Huge student debt.

All are results of progressive public policy.

The admiration of "Continental" society is misplaced; they are having the same immigration and employment-disincentive problems.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Don't just thank Obama. Thank Merkel, Cameron, Holande and all the rest of 'em, 'cos this is happening all over the Western world. Anyone would think collapse is being orchestrated in some way...

Reply to
Julian Barnes

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 20:41:06 +0000 (UTC), Julian Barnes Gave us:

Of course it is. They saw it taking a turn years even decades ago, and they set it up so the middle class would vanish (and pay for their bullshit menagerie)and it now takes multiple incomes to support even a meager household. It really is pathetic.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

People who buy Communist Chinese products at Walmart's front operation are putting their neighbors out of their jobs. If you support communism, shop walmart, sears, kmart, and do not shop for non-communist products.

Reply to
omnilobe

We'll all be EQUAL >:-} ...Jim Thompson

I think there is more to it than that. It's all the things we think we need because they are available. We didn't have them in 1950. Just starting, Please to add to my list any items we didn't have in 1950, that seem like a must have now.

House needs- air conditioning, ceiling fans, garbage disposal, mammoth refrigerator, TV, no 3 tv's, cable, 2 baths, 2 car garage, and a carport, electric can opener, microwave, exercise equipment, home automation, concrete driveways, dimmers on our lights, outdoors lights that turn themselves on,

Car needs-- NEW, 3 years old not 8 years old, power windows and locks, automatic transmission, air conditioning,

Electronic needs-- cellphones, internet, mp3 player, computer, printers, Xbox, play station, bluray player, stereo and speakers, digital cameras,

Personal needs-- expensive clothes, expensive razors, all nature of creams and salves and skin conditioners, expensive tennis shoes,

More categories or additions?

Don't get me wrong I like many of these, but you are right, it often takes two working to obtain them. Mikek

PS I'm following a blog that has a main interest in living a happy life without all the consumer excess, And on gaining Financial Independence- Retiring early.

First Blog posts at the bottom.

The forum filled with Mustachians is fun also.

Save 30% of you income retire in 28 years. Save 40% of you income retire in 22 years. Save 50% of you income retire in 17 years. Save 60% of you income retire in 12.5 years. Assumes you live the Mustachian lifestyle.

The blog writer would give Jim a facepunch just for the subject of this thread.

amdx

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 14:26:12 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Well, then the trek that you face is the longest.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 18:53:42 -0400, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno Gave us:

And not for the reason you think.

Remember, Donald Trump actually thinks he is smart too.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Political science doesn't have 13 sig fig precision and the legacy media wo n't ever tell you this, but it can be studied and applied like any physical science to get predictable results.

To get started Tocqueville is easy to read and easy to understand. Once he explains a few political effects, mechanisms or sequences of events that a re eye opening remarkable you'll wonder if there are predictable situations today. The answer is yes. This is in stark contrast to the _New York Tim es_ narrative where everything political is always a mystery.

Once you know the nuts and bolts then you can play some positive role or, a t a minimum, protect yourself better, i.e. _not_ buying gold.

Warren Buffet said if you don't want to buy a company for 10 years, then yo u don't want it for 10 minutes. Something similar holds for effective poli tical efforts.

Buffet also predicted he would be ignored and no one would _really_ read hi s mentor, Ben Graham.

Similarly, I predict no one will read Tocqueville.

Reply to
Bret Cahill

I thought we were all equal! It's just that some have figured out how to use the capitalist system to earn money. Others have figured out how to use the government system to get unearned money. Then some just figured out how to live paycheck to paycheck. Others are so involved in there passion that they only care about having enough money to let them chase their passion.

You and I won't be equal until I start drinking wine. :-) Also trade my 97 T-100 for an Audi.(not going to happen)

My wife and I are an American success story. But then throw in that 1/2 the team is immigrant, starting with nothing. High School diplomas only, lower middleclass income for 19 years and closer to upper middleclass income for 15 years.

After saving for 34 years, we are now part of the upper crust. Said with my best Thurston Howell III* Locust Valley lockjaw accent and lots of sarcasm!!

Mikek

  • Boston Brahmin accent
amdx

No. Immigration and taxation policies are crushing the US middle class and killing poor inner-city people but making the upper class (which includes you and me) better off, and making the super-rich even richer. Progressives **want** more poor people around; poor people are their power base.

Caesar Chavez told farm workers to not use birth control because it "reduces the numerical power of the poor."

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yeah. It's called "work."

I like my 4WD A3. It's mechanically wonderful, brutally powerful, but the electronics sucks.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Even if all that is true, it doesn't effect any individual that wants to work hard save money, invest and retire at 40.

If you earn $50,000*, save 20% of your income for 20 years invest at

10%** you will have have $797,800. Not a lot to retire on, but more net worth than 90% of the population between 18 and 65 years old. $797,810 with a 4% withdrawal rate is $32,000. aah, keep the wife working ;-) Note that $32K should be mostly tax free, and no FICA either.

  • includes inflation adjustment.

** 60 year average stock market return

For those interested,

And the full dose.

Start at the bottom.

Or, meet Mr. Money Mustache.

Don't miss the Mr. Money Mustache Forum.

amdx

Why would anybody want to do that?

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Lots of reasons. Forget about yourself and engineers doing cool stuff, and look around at all the stuff people do for a living. Do you really think EVERYONE wants to spend 40 hrs at their job.

A roofer in Florida, ya I love carrying 60 lb bundles up at ladder at

96* with 85% humidity. Road paver, putting down hot tar. Cashier standing 7 hrs a day at a cash register. Bus driver with mouthy kids. School teacher, ya some love it, some hate it. People that work for an asshole boss Carpet layer Cook at a breakfast house. laborer Meat packer Oil rig worker lumberjack Corrections officer Most of the dirty jobs that Mike Rowe had on his show People do these only to get paid, not because they love it.

Lot of these things would be fun as a project, but to know you need

to do this everyday to keep your family fed and housed, many would be happy to have enough money to do things other than work.

Also when you retire, you can work at whatever you want.

Or from another prospective They want to travel

pursue a passion charity work Artistic pursuit Write Spend more time with their brat hold down the hammock Hobbies

That's why. :-)

Mikek

amdx

By fluke I ran across this. "Are you very happy at work?" (19% vs. 22%). Tech vs Others.

Mikek

amdx

Not till I got sick and ended up 100% disabled.

This is Florida. They came with the house.

A 32 gallon can that I haul to the landfill when it's full.

Standard sized, and was given to me.

More than three, but I've only bought three in 45 years. I spent less than $200 for all three combined.

No OTA available.

Came with the $37,000 house

Four car, needs a new roof.

None

None

Several. all but one were free. I paid $2.00 for the oldest one and repaired it with a used HV capacitor.

None.

Only motion sensors on some lights, because I need it. I fall too often, even with them.

50 year old asphalt.

Hell no!

Needed, when you have trouble seeing and walking.

18 year old pickup that hasn't run in almost three months.

None

No choice on a used vehicle

Hasn't worked for over seven years.

Cheap used one from Ebay.

$8.00, with earphones.

$40.00, three years ago

$10.00 for a used Laser printer, over 100 used, free inkjets

No, thanks.

No, thanks.

$80, three years ago. Bought to stream free TV shows and movies.

An early '70s Harman Kardon I bought for $3.00, over 20 years ago. The speakers were given to me.

I use a HTC EVO 4G Cellphone I bought for $6.00 on ebay and that included shipping.

Most of my clothes are what are left from when I worked full time.

Dollar store disposable.

Get real.

I haven't worn those since I left high school. I have to wear special Diabetic shoes that cost $400+ a pair.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 11:39:33 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell" Gave us:

This and a garage full of used obsolete computers... donated.

You're a hoarder and a very poor one at that. Piss poor, in fact.

What a putz you are. A modern microwave actually performs the heating job better than the 25 year old models, "new HV cap" or not.

You're almost as bad a joke as Donald Trump is... almost.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I'm not sure, but I think you made my point, you either don't have these things or acquired them at very low cost. In 1950, you didn't have the option to buy them so could live on a single lower income, If you bought them today at normal prices, you need two incomes, for most workers.