classic semiconductors

Yup. "The Tunnel Diode Slideback Sampling Oscilloscope." I might revisit the concept one day soon.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I have a bag full. I think you do, too. Unfortunately mine are all 2 mA peak current, which makes them about 100 times too slow to be interesting. (Their capacitance is something ridiculous like 200 pF.)

It was the >100 mA ones that were fast.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Mine are in the 7 mA range, something like 2 ns Trr. The 25 ps parts were, as you say, in the 100-200 mA range.

Halted had a bin full of them and were asking 10 cents each. I should have bought the entire bin. Not that I really have a use for them.

I can buy a CML or ECL gate or comparator now, with 40 ps rise/fall times, and it's a lot more useful than a tunnel diode. But in ca 1965, anything that made a 25 ps edge was amazing.

There are some really fast logic gates around now, 10 ps stuff, unaffordable.