12v 4amp rechargable battery

I have been googling on an off but not managed to find anything suitable. I wonder if anyone on here is able to help.

I have a home made laptop. My problem is powering it from battery. I am looking for a battery pack that outputs 12 and 4/5 amps. However I also want something that comes with a charger and that will provide enough current to both keep the battery charged and power the unit when plugged into the mains.

Anyone any ideas on how I can achieve this?

Reply to
Paul Stewart

You need to consider;

How well regulated do you need the 12volt supply to be? How long do you want to run from batteries? How important is weight?

Battery packs vary somewhat if voltage between fully charged and nearly exhausted. For example can your equipment cope with say 11volts to 14volts?

If you need a maximum variation of say 11.5V to 12.5V you are going to need a regulator or switcher between the batterys and the equipment. That gives you the option of using a different battery voltage, eg use an 18volt or 24volt battery pack with a 12volt output DC-DC converter module. There are plenty of off the shelf modules eg a Traco Power TEN60-2412

I'd look at either gel-cell or AGM lead acid batterys or a stack of

18650 lithium ion cells. Either way, theres a lot of current available and you need to include fuses and suitable insulation.

People generally seem to make homemake laptops by putting an LCD screen, a motherboard and a keyboard in a robust metal suitscase. A series stack of 6volt alarm batterys would probably fit in reasonbly well.

Lead acid will be heavier. Lithium ion will be more expensive.

A lead acid float charger will supply power for other things as well as charging the batterys. Plenty of cheap chargers on ebay direct from Hong Kong. A float charger will hold the battery voltage at 13.8volts.

A constant voltage current-limited lithium ion charger would probably work ok as well though drawing current might interfere with the fully-charged detection. You can probably find somthing suitable with a bit of searching.

12V times 4A =48watts, twice the power used by many laptops. Four 6volt 10AH lead acid batterys and a 90% efficiency DCDC converter dropping 24V to 12 volt would give you around four hours on batterys.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

=A0I

Are you interested in APP SB Power Pole Connectors. AMP 50 Connector. SB 50 amp connector (gray, red, black). 50 amps maximum, for #6 gauge stranded wire. Housing and 2 contacts supplied. 1-7/8" overall length. Available in Gray, Red, and Black. Gray will be provided if no preference is given. Each color will mate ONLY with the same color. Also available for #10/12 AWG wire. 50 Amp Power Pole Connectors:1 Housing+2 Contacts one color mates with the same color only. It is: 50 amp rating, 600 Volts continuous AC or DC operation. UL listed.Made in China,manufacturer of Ningbo Electric Pneumatic.

nnectors.html

Reply to
www.ningbo-electric.com

--
Take it somewhere else, you SPAMming piece of shit.
Reply to