vcsel array

Probably 1/4 wave plate and linear polarizer, at least that's what I use as "poor mans" optical isolator. You can tune the optical thickness by tilting the 1/4 wave plate around either the fast or slow optical axis. (with 45 degree input light.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

VCSELs have very short cavities, so they're less vulnerable to backreflections causing mode hopping. On the other hand, they're generally much more prone to running multimode spatially. One high speed VCSEL IBM used to use for datacom ran in a 6th order mode with 12 peaks--it looked like a chrysanthemum.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Your average CW diode laser needs about 60 dB (optical) isolation to avoid mode hopping. In a fibre system that means a 2-stage Faraday isolator. The quarter wave plate / polarizing beamsplitter is good for

40 dB optical with great care, but not more, so you need quite a bit of path loss to be safe.

VCSELs in general are less vulnerable.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That seems about right.. though I've never measured the attenuation. I'm guessing I don't get 40 dB, cheap plastic waveplate and polarizer... and I'm using the polarizer near the edge of it's useful wavelength range, about 1% crossed transmission, rather than 10^-3 or better in the 'good' region. Still with enough futzing one can make it work.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold