Trace width calculator for Aluminum PCBs

Any info on calculating trace width for aluminum PCBs? I can get 2 or 3oz copper
on a 2-sided aluminum PCB but not sure how to size the traces. Presumably
they'll handle more current than an epoxy-glass PCB for the same trace
dimensions. Different for top and bottom (this is the kind with Al base rather than core).

--Spehro Pefhany

Re: Trace width calculator for Aluminum PCBs

If you know the substarte PN, then the Saturn PCB toolkit may be of
help.
It has a number of substrates listed, but I do not know if any are Al.
Saturn does advertise Al substrates, but it may or may not be in the
tool.

Cheers

Re: Trace width calculator for Aluminum PCBs

I assume there is some dielectric between traces and Al.
You could simulate the Al slab as a thick copper plane...

George H.

Re: Trace width calculator for Aluminum PCBs
On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 17:42:38 -0800 (PST), George Herold

LED arrays are often copper traces over aluminum with a very thin
dielectric between, looks like white paint.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4eb3fclkk7kq6qv/Corn_2.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g651am9gzv7j0dm/Corn_4.JPG?dl=0

Re: Trace width calculator for Aluminum PCBs
John Larkin wrote...

 Do the LEDs have a metal back heat-surface?  How is that
 attached to the Al pale for heat transfer?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Re: Trace width calculator for Aluminum PCBs
On 14 Feb 2019 11:35:46 -0800, Winfield Hill

What I've seen is just the surface-mount LEDs soldered down.

What's cool is that you can go to a hardware store and buy a few LED
lights and take them apart. My pics were from a cheap (and likely
dangerous) "corn lamp."

The several aluminum LED plates in the corn lamp are easily removed
and probably useful for something else.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQSRM7R/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp_1?pf_rd_p03%dd84f0-0dd9-4d32-b6cb-02a32e0ba336&pd_rd_wg=BHudZ&pf_rd_r=ZV6XJ4FVSPGD3TEBAH4A&pd_rd_iB0%7KQSRM7R&pd_rd_w=lyA2D&pd_rd_r=a112d7dc-51b9-4220-bb82-186bab2c5a48&ie=UTF8&qid15%50174617&sr=1

Re: Trace width calculator for Aluminum PCBs
Semi unrelated, but they put new bulbs in our 4 foot florescent lights
and they are LED's.  Pretty neat.

GH

Re: Trace width calculator for Aluminum PCBs

I've got some of those. You can gain efficiency by removing the
ballasts. But new LED fittings are better still, and pretty cheap.

Clifford Heath.

Re: Trace width calculator for Aluminum PCBs

afaik it is not, it is just soldered to the board which is basically
a single layer pcb bonded to an alumonium plate

Site Timeline