Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars. - Page 13

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.
says...

Do they have turntables and tube amps becuase of the "warm sound"
because CDs are "harsh"?  VHS tapes for movies?  No?  Then do they also
have huge collections of CDs and DVDs?  HD audio discs and BluRay discs?

These days, I keep most of my media on a 2TB server, and that is
considered antiquated by people younger than me who simply use their
phones coupled with streaming services to listen to music and watch
movies and TV shows.  The idea of "owning" music and movies is outdated
to quite a few younger people.  Why would anyone clutter their house
with that crap when the Internet can provide anything you want, anywhere
you want, anytime you want.

Technologies improve, costs go down, times change.

Jeff
Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

heads up,

digital storage has *major long term storage problems*,
HDs last 5 to 7 years at best, they have many failure modes.

the technology improved, but the reliability went down.

Too easy to lose files now, or erase them.

silicon storage is not mature enough yet, it could last a long time, but
many thumb drives get blown out as power comes on or goes off.

CDs are Al foil on plastic, and a drop of ketchup will eat a hole in the
AL layer, making the disk usless. (my kid this this)
Also, heat, age, UV will all seperate the AL from the plastic,
destroying data. Very poor long term stuff, the AL layer also will
oxidize on you.

(archival CDs disks have protective layer of plastic on it.)

storing it in the cloud is another problem, read the T+C's they are not
responcable for your data, the company can go out of business, no data,
or get sold and teh new company sells your files, as you gave them to
them, so they own it, you gave that right up, like those photos you
uploaded to Facebook, are not yours anymore.

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

No.

<snip irrelevant crap about media>

--
Jim Pennino

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

No, that's exactly the point and you keep missing it.

As I've said, your experience is not mine.

And same with all the folks I know that own 3D printers.

I'm not the one knee-jerking or making unsubstantiated claims (such as only
teenagers buying 3D printers).

--
Greg D. Moore                   http://greenmountainsoftware.wordpress.com/
Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

<snip>

All hail and glory to the 3D printer, savior of humanity.

Happy?

--
Jim Pennino

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

No, because you're still just acting like an anachronistic dickhead.

 territory."
Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Jim rolls out invalid arguments even after they've been thoroughly debunked. Some people are just like that.

NT

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Most importantly it'll get cheaper.

NT

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

I believe he was talking about future 3d printing, not today's machines, which obviously need a good deal of development before any hope of mass deployment.

NT

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.
says...

From Wikipedia (because I don't have time to look up a "better" source):

   The undercarriage is typically 4-5% of the takeoff mass and can
   even reach 7%.

That's significant in aerospace.

How is an example of the adoption of new materials/manufacturing
processes not applicable to 3D printing which is another example of the
same thing?  Are you deliberately being intellectually dishonest?

You're posting to sci.space groups.  It's quite significant to the
aerospace industry.  If you don't like it, find another group to pester.

This isn't sci.toaster.

Jeff
Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Well, if you want to compare composite materials and 3D printing, composite
materials have been around for over a half century and the usage is still
trivial compared to traditional materials in just about all products other
than camper shells and ski boats.

So we can expect 3D printers to still be niche in 50 years.

I didn't choose the groups and it is being posted to other groups as
well.

In the overall scheme of things, aerospace is a niche industry.

Nor is is sci.niche.

Jim Pennino

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Jesus, get back to your trailer park until you gain some experience in
the real world.

Well, YOU can no doubt expect that, but you're pretty well known for
having your head up and locked.

You didn't?  Do you not know how your newsreader works, or what?

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.
On Wed, 05 Jul 2017 11:11:31 -0700, Fred J. McCall

Precisely what do you disagree with in the sentence?

   "composite materials have been around for over a half century and
   the usage is still trivial compared to traditional materials"

Seems like someone insulted your binkie.

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

I disagree that you have included his entire thought.  Given his
sphere of knowledge of the use of composites, which he calls out as
"camper shells and ski boats", he's obviously trailer trash.

Composites are widely used all over the place.  Many of them the Chimp
probably thinks of as 'traditional materials'.  Both concrete and
mortar are composite materials and we've been using that stuff since
the Romans.  Composites of various types are used all over the place,
from piping to appliances to aircraft to construction materials.

Every time we see the Chimp around here he is arguing a stupid
position adamantly.  Perhaps you and he should get a room?

--
You are
What you do

So, because camper shells and ski boats are made out of composites,
he's trailer trash.  Got it.

Oh, good grief.  I suppose you're going to tell me that a concrete
pump is a 3-D printer, too.

You should look in a mirror, kid.

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Wow, you're just remarkably stupid.  Because those are the only things
he can find that are made out of composites he's trailer trash.

So are you disagreeing that concrete is a composite?  Why do you think
there is a connection between 'composite' and '3-D printer'?  If you
don't, were you just compelled to say something stupid?

You should pull your head out of your ass, old and moldering one.

 territory."
Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Hook it to the right controller and it is.  I saw a youtube of someone
printing a kid's playcastle using a concrete pump device of some kind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ5Elbvvr1M

--
We are geeks.  Resistance is voltage over current.

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Don't be an idiot.  The thread is clearly about modern marvels, like
carbon fiber, not concrete.  Geez, people turn intentionally stupid
when they run out of ideas (like leftists).

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

whoa!  "print" a garden using dirt !

"Print"   a wood framed House !

"Print" sand castles at the beach !!

"Print" new teeth in place, (dentists)

"Print" new shoes onto your feet !!!

(leftist will run with that, also CNN)

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Today, I would like to print a copy of keys which cannot be made at
the keymakers anymore.

/BAH

Site Timeline