Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars. - Page 2

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

And the world will only need 3 computers.  Usual Chimp wisdom.

That's why we use carbon fiber on cars; because weight doesn't matter.

 territory."
Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Kiss my ass Red Herring McTroll.

"Where's the Affordable Carbon Fiber Automobile?"

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/539971/wheres-the-affordable-carbon-fiber-automobile/

"While the cost of carbon fiber materials and production has declined
in recent decades, it remains prohibitive for anything but limited
applications in niche vehicles."

--
Jim Pennino

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

You're all ass, Chimp.

Oh, it's not just "things that fly" anymore.  Now it's 'affordable'.
My car has carbon fibre parts.  I thought it was pretty affordable.

That would, according to the Chimp's prior statements, no doubt be the
flying cars, since flying vehicles are the only ones where weight
matters that much (according to him).

 territory."
Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

You're all nasty troll.

*PLONK*

--
Jim Pennino

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Let me put things in terms you can understand, Chimp.
OoooOOOOooooOOOOoooOO.

--
You are
What you do

An other subjective quote from the same article:

"
But for the first time, a handful of 2016 models sold in neighborhood
car dealerships will feature ultralight yet expensive carbon fiber
materials.
"

A large part of the racing bikes sold in the Netherlands are carbon fiber.

So?

Groetjes Albert
Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

"Nobody needs more than 640K"

I don't really think it's sensible to say "never" wrt technology - you're
judging a very immature technology

The biggest problem wrt printing vehicles will, I suspect, be the legislation
governing safety.

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Nope, economics.

It takes a fraction of a second to stamp out a sheet metal automobile body
part out of standard sheet metal stock.

I fail to understand why geeks think 3D printing is the ultimate answer
to manufacturing when it is in fact slow and expensive.

--
Jim Pennino

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

There is one very successful additive manufacturing process: casting.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

It is slow and expensive, *at the moment*, but it won't always be; and one of
the ways it will start to be rapid and cheap is by fabricating things which make
other things.

So, for example, it will make moulds, and the machinery to use them, which will
combine the advantages of bespoke design with the speed and low-cost of
traditional manufacturing.

Similarly, it will fabricate machines which wind, for example, copper wire onto
cast armatures.

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Making 3D printing faster & cheaper is a challenge. How might it be done?
- many nozzles instead of 1
- machines that replicate and stack many high
- machines that run without human input, either entirely or mostly, thus mostly eliminating walkways etc
- maybe stacked cube shaped printers could be weatherproof and run outdoors.
- machines sense where there is already plastic and fast forward past those places. Now blocks or generic preformed shapes can be placed on the print bed to save time. Or even waste plastic lumps.
- machines place sand particles as well as plastic. Place molten plastic, then adding a sand grain doubles construction rate (very roughly) as well as reducing material cost.

It's all maybes, but fairly likely maybes.

Meanwhile 3d is already massively faster & will be much cheaper in house construction, a major industry.

NT

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Because it is fast and cheap.

--
Jim Pennino

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

Good, fast, cheap - choose any two.  It's obvious where the Chimp
lives...

--
You are
What you do

Are you saying that castings are not good?

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

I'm saying what I said.

 territory."
Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.
On Wed, 05 Jul 2017 19:12:48 -0700, Fred J. McCall

I was trying to help you make some sense of your nonsense but I guess
there wasn't any to make.

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

I'm sorry you're stupid and have never designed anything in the real
world, but I can't fix you.

 territory."
Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

You're a bit of a bellend aren't you.

*PLONK*

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

You're more than a bit of a foreskin, aren't you?

Good idea.  It'll save you the frustration of not being able to
explain to me what I mean by what I said.

Re: Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.
On Thu, 06 Jul 2017 10:05:58 -0700, Fred J. McCall

It's good that you show everyone what you're really worth.

Site Timeline