The 280 pound capacitor

66 uF, 276 kV, 3000 A but that was an aggregation of multiple cans.
Reply to
Ralph Barone

324, 358 etc are great chips, they and their cheapass ilk help keep costs down for everyone.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Er, yes, good point but not sure what it's got to do with the subject matter of this thread.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Someone should draw up a "master list" of "essential parts for designers" like that that have excellent "bang for the buck", sort of like the WHO has a list of "essential medications" that are inexpensive and are a requirement for a basic modern medical infrastructure

Reply to
bitrex

Boston women are indeed a paler, uglier sort than women from the elsewheres of life.

Reply to
bitrex

On a sunny day (Sat, 10 Jun 2017 08:27:28 -0400) it happened bitrex wrote in :

That is why I have standardized on PICs, for example almost all PICs have 2 hardware comparators and a flipflop like a 555, not only that, you do not need the resistors it has a DAC for that, not only that, it has an internal reference voltage, not only that, it has a multi channel ADC, not only that well read the datasheet. Probably cheaper too ;-)

And availability is good.

Like opiods? LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Women speaking with a Boston accent must be the biggest turn-off ever (at least to English ears). Even worse than Nu Yawk! Must be a devil of a job to get pregnant if you're a woman from Boston.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

My father was from Boston, my mother was born in Wisconsin but spent most of her life in LA, and maybe because they did the "standard nuclear family" thing where Mom was a homemaker (at least until I was a teenager when she went to work for a Protestant social service agency) and he worked during the day I didn't pick up much of the local accent. I talk more like a west-coaster though I can imitate the local patois pretty well for comedic purposes.

The type parodied in the vid is sort of like New England's version of "West Country English" and you don't hear it that much in the city center anymore, it's the suburban "working class" accent.

Boston is full of transplants from all over the country and the world though, so unless dating suburban white women who aren't college-educated and mostly work in retail is what you really like you don't encounter it much.

There's nothing intrinsically "wrong" with that life, it is what it is, it's just that it's hard to find much common ground. And yeah, I find the accent grating and sex would be bad, too.

Reply to
bitrex

And yeah, the local girls whose families have lived here since the beginning of history do seem to come pretty squat and plain. I guess 300 years of savage winters will do that.

Reply to
bitrex

Has anyone ever wrote a "drop in replacement" code for a PIC or AVR to drop it in to a 555 socket and have it just work, assuming the supply voltage is within the device tolerance?

Seems like it should be possible, except unfortunately for one thing I don't think there are any 8 pin uPs available that have the power and ground pins in the upper right and left respectively

Reply to
bitrex

ts down for everyone.

I did that for op amps in the late 1980's when I was working for Cambridge Instruments. There were about 150 op amps on the list - the 324 and the 358 were on it, but as cheap parts to be used where you didn't need much in th e way of performance. I did note that the 358 lends itself to better printe d circuit layouts than the 324.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Why replace a $0.10 chip with a $0.25 chip?

you'd probably get burned on power supply rejection, jitter, and propogation delay too.

Jasen Betts

If everything you do is so simple that a 555 works (seems to be the case), you wouldn't. I've never been asked to design anything that trivial.

Probably not.

Reply to
krw

Did the series caps have voltage-equalizing mediation?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

This was an AC application (partially cancel the series inductance of a 500 kV power line), so voltage equalization wasn't a huge concern. The individual cans did have bleed resistors inside, but those were to meet the requirement that a can would have a safe voltage on it 15 minutes after deenergization. The cans were also arranged in an H configuration with a CT to measure the unbalance current between the four sections. If the unbalance exceeded a critical value, the bank would be tripped out.

Reply to
Ralph Barone