Stupid Human^H^H Silicon Trick

Haven't seen anything about this before:

Makes sense, "hot carrier" charges getting lodged in the oxide.

Unclear how reliable it is over long times (more than hours or days), and how consistent the process is (needless to say, it doesn't look like a thing you'd want to do in production). But neat.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Fun. I'd be happier staying within ratings and applying heat, though.

Since it seems both positive and negative bias works, I suspect that the real mechanism is damage rather than EPROM-style charge storage.

I have a reel of 2N7002Es, which have no gate protection, so I might try it. No point trying fewer than 10 or so at a time--that way one would get some idea of device-to-device variation.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs