solar cell back side

sci.electronics.design
back side of solar cell

   One of Harbor Freight's 1 1/2 watt solar panels used for keeping a car
battery charged quit. The solder connection on the back side of the glass,
which looks like aluminum or zinc or silver or some other "white" appearing
metal, poped off. I tried resoldering with tin/lead and tin/silver with no
luck. Anyone have an idea what solder would work? Needs a flux too.

Hul

Re: solar cell back side

yes, you need to get some conductive epoxy.

Put a glob on there and stick the wire into it and let it set.

If you can't find that locally, you can experiment with window heater
element repair expoxy, that is mostly copper the last time I used it.

P.S.
  If you look you'll notice most likely they didn't solder it, it was
expoxy ..

Jamie

Re: solar cell back side
Thanks Jamie, I'll give that a try. Also, do you know what metal covers
the back side?

Hul

Re: solar cell back side

Front is printed silver, back is aluminum.

Cheers

Re: solar cell back side
Martin - by "printed silver" you mean thin deposited silver thin enough to
pass light?

Hul

Re: solar cell back side

No, the silver print does not pass light.

Re: solar cell back side

I've got some aluminum flux... Alco something, you can search for it.
I soldered bits of copper wire to aluminum foil with it.  The type
of solder didn't seem to matter.  60/40 tin/ lead was fine...
(But I'm no metallugist.)
The flux is nasty (I think) so do a good clean up as well as prep.

I've got SS flux too.

George H.

Re: solar cell back side

Oh or are you trying to solder to the silicon on the panel?

GH

Re: solar cell back side
sci.electronics.design
back side of solar cell

   One of Harbor Freight's 1 1/2 watt solar panels used for keeping a car
battery charged quit. The solder connection on the back side of the glass,
which looks like aluminum or zinc or silver or some other "white" appearing
metal, poped off. I tried resoldering with tin/lead and tin/silver with no
luck. Anyone have an idea what solder would work? Needs a flux too.

Hul

Re: solar cell back side
Conductive epoxy?

Cheers
--
Clive

Re: solar cell back side
Is the "white" corrosion ?

Re: solar cell back side
No Rheilly, "white" as in silvery, ie, not copper or gold.

Hul

Re: solar cell back side
OK if the solder is not taking then it's aluminium I guess. You are on
track with the enquiry.

Re: solar cell back side

Use Silver solder, I've used Silver solder on the cheap Radioshack
solar cells many years ago. Not sure what was the backing but if you
delaminate the layer on the back you need to move to another clean
area.

Cheers

Re: solar cell back side
Confusing.  Silver solder usually/often means silver braze, although
some less reputable suppliers do use the term to mean silver-containing
lead-free solders.  Marketing.

If solder is to be used rather than conductive epoxy, ordinary 60/40 (or
slightly better, 63/37) tin/lead has a lower melting point than silver
containing solders.

Cheers
--
Clive