Small high temp red led?

I need a small (pref. 0603, max. 0805) red led. (used as a voltage ref in a dense small circuit).

The tough part is the max working temp: 125°C

Any part number?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Isn't that close to the typical max junction temp for any semiconductor?

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

I think the epoxy may degrade at 125C plus whatever the rise is.

Reply to
SP

D from BC a écrit :

Almost (it's more 150°C), but that figures depends a lot on the package techno. Some do 175, few others 200.

In my case it doesn't dissipate much (600/700uW), and light efficiency vs time doesn't matter at all.

But nearly all seem to be spec'd at 85°C. I just saw some at vishay that go up to 100°C.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

I think you need to rethink your design.

I have been involved with cooker electronics quite a bit and we always made sure there was cool airflow over any electronics.

Reply to
Marra

Ambient or junction?

Not right in memory, but as you stepped out of temp for pocket devices I would browse old or newer MIL-Speck catalogs.

HTH

Stanislaw

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

"Fred Bartoli" wrote in message news:466fd0d9$0$31533$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr...

Automotive.

Heres a nice list of mfgs:

Nicha has some 110c parts

Martin Riddle

"Fred Bartoli" wrote in message news:46702b8d$0$7454$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr...

If you only need it to survive 125C and not maintain it color, most LED on a ceramic base will be fine. We use them to 175 and 200C all the time. They do not maintain their color and all of them turn yellow/amber but they still work for a while. I've never had one go out but our life times are short (tens of hours).

Reply to
Mook Johnson

Marra a écrit :

How do you know that?

Not everybody build cookers.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Mook Johnson a écrit :

Yep, I only need it to survive but with unaltered electrical parameters. That's for some industrial sensors (hence the temp range) and can be deeply buried into huge machines and can only be accessed at the occasion of a 5 year maintenance operation. Some of those sensors can operate 24h a day at high temp. 'Programmed failure' isn't an option.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Spehro Pefhany a écrit :

For this project I don't need light. Just the higher voltage drop the led gives.

But SMT incandescent lamps may be useful for another project I have. I didn't know that this existed. Thanks.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Spehro Pefhany a écrit :

They

still

Unfortunately space is very constrained (only 15mm diamter) and full up to the nose. Voltage refs are, well... bulky, and way too noisy. Today, we use half a BAV99, but I'd like to have one more volt drop... with the same 2mV/°C tempco.

If I can't find one, we'll stick to the BAV99 or so diode.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

You won't find them quite that small, I should think, but there *are* SMT incandescent lamps that will be very happy at 125°C 24/7.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

still

Sorry, noticed that after I hit 'send'

Could you use the IR LED in an optocoupler? A bit bigger than 0805 though (and lower Vf). Failing that, of course, there are parts such as the LM4041...

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

vs

on a

They

still

The inside of a car I think can get to 60C. Dash LED's have to survive that.

Really..an LED in an oven at 125C harms what?

Most solders melts around 180C to 190C so internal connections in the LED should be ok.. The plastics used in SMD LED's have to handle wavesoldering so that's probably ok. (Contact LED manufacture for plastic flowing point.)

I did a quick look (.interesting topic) and found

Shows a conductive silver paste.. I'm guessing that's a conductive adhesive. That might be the spoiler. However..the plastic that was melted over the adhesive has to tolerate wavesoldering. So..the conductive adhesive tolerates short term heat.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

e:

ote in

wrote:

package

iency vs

shay that

t LED on a

me. They

they still

e short

ters.

What about component life span at high temps?

We all know that large changes in temperature causes expansion and contraction of materials which can cause cracking especially if one part of the device cools down quicker. Car cylinder heads are a good example. Chip substrates are the same but is made worse by the different materials on the substrate expanding/contracting at different rates.

Reply to
Marra

HP/Agilent/ Avago do an automotive range to 110degC junction temp. As a reference, I assume that power dissipation will be minimal.

ASMT-RR45-AQ902

RL

Reply to
legg

vs

on a

They

still

Hmmm. What about using the whole BAV99? Giving double voltage drop. Ok, with 4mV/K.

Heinz

Reply to
Heinz Liebhart

On Jun 14, 8:38 am, Fred Bartoli

But any diode (diode-equation-compliant forward biased diode) will have (at 125C temperature) 0.25 percent per C tempco. For a 1.5V forward voltage, that's gonna be about 3.7 mV/C

The same result holds for Si diodes in series or GaAs, or whatever.

Stabistors (multiple diodes) like 1N4157 will give you a higher forward voltage, but aren't likely to be available in surface mount.

Another kind of reference, that hasn't been mentioned yet, is a FET current source with load resistor. A JFET in a metal can with gate- source shorted together is a pretty good high temp device, can give its

2 mA (or so) current into a load resistor for any reference voltage you want. The tempco, you'll have to determine yourself.
Reply to
whit3rd

can't use a bandgap reference, or zener, instead?

--

Bye.
   Jasen