Remote Control Dual Linear Actuators

I have two 115VAC 1.6A Linear Actuators that I'm using to raise and lower a scissor lift contraption. I currently use a DPDT switch (on- off-on) to control the direction of the actuators, the Actuators have built-in limit switches.

Because of the design of the Contraption the dpdt switch is not a convenient means to turn the actuators on and off. I would like to integrate an X-10 appliance module with a DPDT relay to run the actuators? Is this a suitable or even possible application for a DPDT relay? OR is their a simpler circuit that I could create?

thanks in advance, james

Reply to
j1mmyZ

Do you have access to the limit switches where you can wire them yourself? I have a system where I use the limit switches to drop out the run relay. The run relay is activated when the direction relay changes from energized to de-energized or vice versa. The direction relay is 3PDT, the run relay is SPST. The direction relay is controlled by a toggle switch. You could use an X-10 to provide the toggle switch function. That would initiate a cycle where the acutators go from fully extended to fully retracted (or vice versa), then stop. If you want the capability to stop somewhere in between, then a single X-10 driving a DPDT relay won't do it.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I don't have to stop it in the middle and so my basic dpdt relay would work. I've never tried this sort of application and am very much self taught. I did manage to create a PWM to use as a thermostat which I connected to a couple of TEC's but I'm not so familiar with using relays. On another thought, would an h-bridge allow me to stop in the middle if I wanted? I don't have to use an x-10 module (I have some lying around) I just wanted something simple that would allow remote/ wireless control of the circuit.

thanks again, james

Reply to
j1mmyZ

Here's how mine is wired:

AC ----+-------------------------+------+ | | | [RY1] [RY2] | | | | o | | / Run Sw | [Motor] Up o o Down | | | | | | | o o---+ Up Limit Sw | | o---o---^ Ry1-1 | | Lo Limit Sw | | | +----o o----+ |Ry1-2 Ry1-3 | |> | |

Reply to
ehsjr