Re: Using RSSI to locate an object

I would like to use RSSI to locate an object in a 3D space. The space will

> be a square box with transmitters located on the 4 corners. An object will > be place at certain positions within the box and I want to be able to > determine its location inside the box. Much like an internal GPS. >

What's "RSSI"? Repetitive Stress Syndrome Imaging? ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

received signal strength indicator

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Oh, gosh. Than that's definitely a non-starter. I'd at least try ultrasonics, or maybe lidar and triangulate. But, as has been said, just imaging from the top is probably the best, since compute power is cheap these days, and Josh916 seems to have total control over the environment.

Of course, if you're out on the lake, it'd probably be pretty expensive to hire a blimp for the camera. ;-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I think if he can equip the box with a wire grid and have a receiver on the boat, then each wire of the grid could have a different tone signal on it. The antenna on the boat receiver would pickup the tones so the 2 strongest tones would indicate the position of the boat. He could simply program a pic micro to sample the tones and output the x,y coordinate via a radio signal from the boat. This would be an example of RSSI. This same setup may well work with the robot soccer games. Jus my 2 cents worth :) JTT

Reply to
James Thompson