Re: Inductor Dumb Question of the Day

Hi Jim,

"Jim Thompson" wrote in = message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

>=20 >>Jim Thomps>>> Is it possible to get a 1.2uH inductor that's still inductive at >>> 600MHz ?? >>>=20 >>> ...Jim Thompson >> >>Sure. You do it using a coil wound as a tapered helix, with its point = >>towards the high-frequency side, backed up with SMT coils of =

increasing=20

>inductance. It's done all the time in bias tees--I have one that's =

flat=20

>within about +-1 dB from 20 kHz to 30 GHz. >> >>It would be difficult to make an inductor that still looked like 1.2 =

uH=20

>at 600 MHz--it would resonate with 60 fF. >> >>Cheers, >> >>Phil Hobbs >=20 > What I'm trying to implement, cheaply, is a crossover network for a > coax splitter: corner at 10MHz, impedance 75 Ohms, but "well behaved" > at 600MHz. >=20 > (G-job ;-)

Another possibility is a ferrite toroid inductor/choke. I made one awhile back with 14 turns on a 0.230" dia toroid, which had a low freq. mu of 125. It looked like a 4.2 uH inductor at low = freqs. It resonated at 145 MHz, and at 1 GHz it looked like 0.3 pF in parallel with 2k ohms. =20

You would need fewer turns and would get a higher resonant freq. I would think. And you still get to wind something. :)

If you are concerned about the rejection at 600 MHz of the low-pass branch, you'll have to minimize the inductance of your shunt capacitor.

--=20 Regards, Howard snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com

Reply to
Howard Swain