Re: Electric Cars Not Yet Viable

One huge difference. Tesla is a company. The railway bubble you talk about was an industry.

You are really reaching with this one.

--

  Rick C.

  ++--- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++--- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Wrong. The railway "entreprises" were a number of separate companies designed to service a number of different potential routes. Some of the companies did well, got bigger, merged an so forth until they all got nationalised in 1948.

You really don't know what he was talking about - did you bother to look at the link he posted?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

for

a single

in a

t sure if

ing (is

to the

.

ation-areas

o when they were truly disgusting making noises, producing pollution and be ing a hazard to people and animals in the street. Oh, wait, they are still like that.

g center to have a bite. Walking in a gas station is much more dangerous t han a shopping center. There is a lot higher density of traffic and when c ars are turning into the station, they are still ramping down in speed and going too fast for the situation. I don't recall the name for this when pe ople exit highways. In the gas station it is very similar.

ome 45 minutes later (barely enough time to eat) where I was amazed by the heat and stink that was coming from the cars at the pumps and the ones wait ing in line.

I once did a back of the envelope calculation comparing the local coal fired powerplant making electricity for a Tesla and a car running on g aoline. The chemical to mechanical energy efficiency came out about the sam e

but the powerplants exhaust is run through scrubbers and filters and isn't output at ground level in the city

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

:

ing

y for

o a single

e in a

Not sure if

K.

hting (is

ts to the

le.

rvation-areas

ago when they were truly disgusting making noises, producing pollution and being a hazard to people and animals in the street. Oh, wait, they are sti ll like that.

ing center to have a bite. Walking in a gas station is much more dangerous than a shopping center. There is a lot higher density of traffic and when cars are turning into the station, they are still ramping down in speed an d going too fast for the situation. I don't recall the name for this when people exit highways. In the gas station it is very similar.

some 45 minutes later (barely enough time to eat) where I was amazed by th e heat and stink that was coming from the cars at the pumps and the ones wa iting in line.

gaoline. The chemical to mechanical energy efficiency came out about the s ame

Yeah, there was a thread here that did the same, but it didn't take into ac count everything. The refining process of petroleum to gasoline is itself a heavy consumer of petroleum for the energy to make it all happen.

The simple way to compare the two is by looking at the cost. Electricity t o run an EV is much cheaper than the gas to do the same. So the electricit y must be more efficient.

Toss in that EVs can be run from solar and it's a slam dunk.

--

  Rick C.

  ++--+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++--+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Won't someone think of the go-karts!!

Reply to
bitrex

That's a remarkable coincidence.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Well, chain saws and weed-whackers use some. Give Shortbit a break.

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Wed, 3 Jul 2019 16:56:34 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote in :

last night I watched a program on 3sat TV here about electric cars. Calculations show that those only become more climate friendly after 100,000 km They also went into the lithium mining, and the damage done to the environment and people by that. And then they went into the lithium battery recycling and showed that only 20% or so was recycled.

Very interesting. And then there was a 45 minute documentary about bees (Bs) I learned a lot about that and really for a moment I was thinking if those program makers read this newsgroup.

In German, Winfield should REALLY watch this, even just visual gives a lot of info already:

Cannot find the 'lectric car link.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

And what do you think each of the UK regional railway companies were? They were public limited companies with shareholders.

The trend for unicorn companies that have never made a profit but always promise "jam tomorrow" is a modern version of the same boom-bust game.

Am I? You choose to wallow in your wilful ignorance. Read the story. Your failure to understand classic industrial history is astonishing.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Just so, on all counts.

I understand and appreciate - enthusiasm for new products and concepts - ignorance, since we can't know everything but as I point out to my daughter, "ignorance can be cured but stupidity can't".

Now when somebody *repeatedly* ignores or denies solid examples that conflict with their statements, we are left in a quandary: - is the person a fanboi or shill? - is the person stupid? - should we trust their *other* statements? - are they promoting the indefensible?

Unfortunately Rick C has repeatedly ignored and denied multiple solid "inconvenient truths" on this topic.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

ll

the

ords

the

al supply

nd a whole lot of mines will open up again that got closed down because the ir deposits weren't as easy to extract as those at the happy few who were a ble to satisfy world demand when it was lower.

eing opened up again when the tin price was high, and closed down again as soon as there was enough supply to push the tin price back down again.

A coincidence that Cursitor Doom's heros at ZeroHedge managed to ignore whe n they proclaimed that electric cars were not yet viable.

Curistor Doom's brain is the non-viable device involved. ZeroHedge is presu mably being paid by the fossil carbon extraction industry to spread the kin ds of misinformation that keep the market for fossil-carbon fuel alive for as long as possible, until the unfortuate consequneces of burning it for fu el become obvious to even the Cursitor Doom's and John Larkin's of the worl d.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

e you talk about

s promise

Give him his due. He does pick up some new information, and while he denies other propositions, he does at least acknowledge that they exist.

John Larkin is a whole lot less eductatable, and Cursitor Doom and krw can' t even imagine that they might ever be wrong.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yes, but it took /too/ many messages and concrete examples for him to start to acknowledge that where he lives is /very/ different to other places. It is being repeated with in this railway mania subthread.

That doesn't engender trust in his other statements; hence my /questions/ above.

CD is indistinguishable from a troll, but even he is occasionally right - just like a broken clock. I even found myself agreeing with /one/ of his points recently!

JL has significant strengths, but also has significant blind spots in a way that I find difficult to understand. In other words, I'll take what he says seriously on /some/ subjects, but definitely not others.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

electrified railroads move people. REAL locomotives move freight.

REAL locomotives are diesel electric. ALL our trains are electric, but not on an overhead grid.

Your characterization of the 'idea' being silly, is pretty stupid, because it is not silly, and it is not my idea. India, in fact, has the first CNG train there is.

So much for your population density analysis.

Easier here to put a train on existing tracks that powers itself than it is to erect overhead power feeds all over the place.

I do not think you thought it through as in the places you describe, there are typically a single line running back and forth. Here... in the US... there are thousands of lines. BIG difference.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bill Sloman wrote in news:f34dcf90-6624-4362- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Not really at all. That is another lie as you seem to conveniently forget, underestimate, and mis-charcterize the POWER requisite for freight transportation.

We simply do not have good enough batteries yet. Period. One can place the biggest electric motors around into a tractor and if it cannot do the load or move the distance, it is worthless for the task. To integrate a battery which can means you are now moving the weight of the battery pack around as well.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bill Sloman wrote in news:f34dcf90-6624-4362- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I see that you conveniently left out the 'evolve INTO' aspect.

We already have many alternate technologies. EVOLVING INTO THEM, does NOT happen overnight as you say, nor can it do so. And I never said that we need to evolve the technology itself.

You apparently need to learn to read, or learn to refrain from drinking when you do. Or maybe you need glasses. Regardless, you missed that one or deliberately left out to difference made by my wording using it. "EVOLVE INTO" is NOT "evolve" as you put it, which infers that I said we need to invent.

Your manipulations of my words makes me want to put you back into the place some of these others have binned you in. You will very likely only get one more chance.

I was being nice to you as you do possess some intelligence. Apparently, however, that does not involve you refraining from petty, unbecoming vocabulary in your non technical responses to folks.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You are an idiot with that one. One will NOT be charging their tractor trailer trucks overnight, AND as I stated, the difference is unacceptable. I need a truck that can pull the load described AND do so for 2000 miles at a time AND NOT have a 1.5 day wait between segments of a long haul.

You really appear to know absolutely nothing about trucking.

And no, battery swap stations are not feasible aither.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Another stupid remark. We are talking about a city with no roads like you see now. No ground. It is an elevated city.

MY city will not have car roaming around, much less trucks.

You have no clue and putting price tags on land speculation is just plain idiotic.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Again, like I said earlier. LEARN HOW TO READ.

THE CITY HAS NO ROADS. NOBODY WILL BE JUST DRIVING IN.

ZERO CARS get access.

You starting to get up to speed yet? Maybe you should read the speculation post again.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

regulations/

Yes, and much of what gets spent in generation is used on the grid on a LOT of thing, not just charging a few cars up at night.

I'd say you very likely overestimated the actual cost of the juice needed to charge a EV at whatever rate.

Oh and what the heck is GAoline? :-)

Is that a new Lady Gaga invention?