Re: Electric Cars Not Yet Viable

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news:h0sihe9ocfe8jt0sa2kqnr44bop8east8m@

4ax.com:

It was a cold fusion joke, you retarded piece of shit. You still look like the idiot you are so nothing has changed.

Reply to
DLUNU

Nonsense, of course, because busses and trains might take over from 'cars and vans', and there's not a lot of cobalt in a bicycle either.

With other technologies, choices get different. There's no simple estimate of this sort that can really be believed.

Reply to
whit3rd

You mean reinvent, don't you? Steam cars, and synthetic fuels, are near centyury ago.-old tech.

Reply to
whit3rd

This isn't about 'modern' it's about 'future'. Infrastructure can change, because that is how the future is expected to evolve.

Petrochemicals are a means to an end, NOT the only means to that end. Optimistic, perhaps, but not incorrect.

Reply to
whit3rd

I drove past a burning truck once, and the stench was TERRIBLE; if it isn't toxic, my nose was lying to me. Burning rubber was the dominant odor, so that's sulphur compounds, I suppose.

Reply to
whit3rd

Yes, the energy is stored in electric field, so the highest field short of insulator breakdown is one limit. A second part of the storage equation, the dielectric constant, must be chosen from solids or liquids, within the materials-property range. A third limit (for vacuum capacitors) is in the forces on the electrodes: you have to keep them separate with structure (usually metal) that doesn't store any energy because it has no internal E-field.

Details vary, but chemical batteries definitely win on storage against capacitors.

Reply to
whit3rd

The factor is thousands. Batteries are evaluated in amp-hours, supercaps in amp-seconds.

lunatic fringe electronics

AlwaysWrong, you're the joke.

Reply to
krw

Now you are being silly. And I am agreeing with Cursitor Doom!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

single

sure if

g (is

o the

ion-areas

when they were truly disgusting making noises, producing pollution and bein g a hazard to people and animals in the street. Oh, wait, they are still l ike that.

I charged at a gas station today and walked across the lot to a shopping ce nter to have a bite. Walking in a gas station is much more dangerous than a shopping center. There is a lot higher density of traffic and when cars are turning into the station, they are still ramping down in speed and goin g too fast for the situation. I don't recall the name for this when people exit highways. In the gas station it is very similar.

Seeing on my phone the battery was about ready, I returned to the car some

45 minutes later (barely enough time to eat) where I was amazed by the heat and stink that was coming from the cars at the pumps and the ones waiting in line.

You can call me what you want, but the reality is ICE cars are smelly, mess y, heat producers that the world will be better off when rid of. It may we ll take 100 years for this to happen in the UK, but the rest of us will see it much sooner... roughly 20 years with most ICE autos replaced in 10 year s.

--

  Rick C.

  +-++- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +-++- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

whit3rd wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Not likely any time soon. Other uses for the extracts too. Remember plastic and that industry?

OK.... meanwhile, WE ALL STILL NEED food delivered to our stores on a weekly basis. The world is a packed place and folks are not farmers any more.

We do not have CNG locomotives yet, and we do not have electric tractor trailer set ups yet either.

What do you propose? That we put 25 long legged folks up on the roof of the trailer and they push it like Fred Flintstone?

Like hard drives, IC engines are going to be with us quite a while AS we evolve. Sheesh.

Not optimistic. We WILL 'evolve' into alternate propulsion technologies. But they have to be able to produce the kinds of horsepower we currently use and we will still use what we have until those new technologies are realized.

50 10k Lb trailers cost more to pull than 13 40k Lb trailers cost.

So it needs to be able to tractor a 40,000 Lb trailer, just like we currently do.

Capability is one issue, and capacity or range is another.

My city would have no trucks. Your system would be put in place.

Likely a network of smarter conveyors designed snag free. Slight assist like an air hokey table flat bottom trays and optical (datamatrix) routing coding..

All the 'passenger cars' would be small, slow, tiny footprint, inner city, transit carriages. No high HP wasteful race cars anywhere.

Reply to
DLUNU

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news:b1flhetv1raod1c8u92cns07ifhbukops5@

4ax.com:

KRW just cannot stop posting retarded, hateful baby bullshit.

DYSF! DIE YOU STUPID FUCK!

Reply to
DLUNU

Horsepower was necessary to raise water from mines, but transportation is NOT like that; on the level, wind power (sailing ships) and critters (mule-towpath for a barge) move a lot of tonnage without high energy consumption. Neither is 'new technology'.

Despite the appeal of 'use what we have', there's a lot of coal infrastructure shutting down now.

Reply to
whit3rd

whit3rd wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

"mule tow path"? Yeah, that'll be reliable and prompt in a 50 tons of food a day city. Barges? Canals?

You do know they fart methane...

Not new technology, but certainly an old pollutant.

Not big enough a fix and still pollutes. Sure.

Reply to
DLUNU

But you're AlwaysWrong. This is no exception.

Wrong again, AlwaysWrong. Suck that egg.

Reply to
krw

And exactly how will that be different with EVs?

There's no doubt about that! That merely makes alternatives desirable, but doesn't affect the practical problems.

EVs tend to export their pollution generation to elsewhere.

Sure. The world would also be better off without hunger etc etc.

We'll see.

In another message (replying to Win Hill) you wrote > ... I don't know what your neighborhood is like, but I am in the > boonies ...

I'm glad you are slowly coming to realise your restricted experience.

You previously challenged me about how many different places I had visited. I gave an answer, and asked you how many continents, countries, and cities I had visited (capital cities in the last case, since I've visited innumerable cities).

Again I ask, how many have /you/ visited?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

g center to have a bite. Walking in a gas station is much more dangerous t han a shopping center. There is a lot higher density of traffic and when c ars are turning into the station, they are still ramping down in speed and going too fast for the situation. I don't recall the name for this when pe ople exit highways. In the gas station it is very similar.

You know the answer to that as I've already talked about it. If we all use d EVs rather than ICE, many would charge at home and never set foot in a ch arging station. Charging stations are easy to distribute in virtually ever y parking lot in existence rather than having special businesses to provide fuel. No more gas stations, no more hazardous, high usage parking lots.

ome 45 minutes later (barely enough time to eat) where I was amazed by the heat and stink that was coming from the cars at the pumps and the ones wait ing in line.

Yes, exactly. The pollution problem is shifted to electric generation whic h can come from a variety of sources which include totally non-polluting so urces. Once we are using electricity rather than petroleum for propulsion, we can reduce or eliminate the pollution... our option.

I guess you think you made some sort of meaningful point with that comment. Ok...

--

  Rick C.

  +-+++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +-+++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

y you

Distribution in European cities is already a lot more electrified. The rail ways are already electrified - with some minor exceptions. The single line track from Nijmegen on down to Maastricht still isn't electrified, but the direct routes from Nijmegen and Masstricht (which get more frequent service s with much bigger trains) have been electrified for decades now.

Eletric vans are cheaper and less polluting than diesels, and are perfectly adequate for in-city use.

Silly idea. Electrified railroads are standard everywhere where the populat ion density is higher than in the US.

In the Netherlands liquified petroleum gas - LPG - is a popular fuel for ca rs. The first car I bought in the Netherlands had been converted for it, bu t I wasn't going to drive enough kilometres per year to make it worth the e xtra road tax I'd have had to pay, so I got it converted back (which didn't take long or cost much).

Compressed natural gas (methane) needs bigger, heavier tanks.

Energy density is better than batteries, but that's range between charging stations and not exactly fundamental.

But you could have - pretty much overnight - if the government thought to w orth motivating their adoption with subsidies and taxes.

Idiotic exaggeration. The technology is all there. If the economy correctly valued the damage done by unrestricted CO2 emission, we'd have them alread y.

It's not evolution. We could do it today - if not overnight - if the econom y did it's cost-benefit analyses over a slightly longer period.

We won't evolve alternative technologies. They already exist. We will adopt them progressively more energetically as the unfortunate consequences of unrestrained anthropogenc global warming become progressively more obvious and inconvenient.

John Larkin may take longer than most to notice.

The technologues exist. The economic insight required to see that we ought to using them now hasn't developed as fast.

But the prime mover only needs to tractor the load between charging station s or battery swap station. Range is a negotiable feature.

An unnecessary - and expensive - indulgence in high tech for the sake of hi gh tech.

Fat chance of that. "Passenger car" are as much status symbols as personal transport. The Tesla is styled to attract the kinds of people who buy cars designed to make them look rich.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Sorry, I misread what you said, and besides I wasn't clear in my question.

Noting that your point was motherhood and apple pie.

Any answers to the questions you conveniently snipped, viz...

In another message (replying to Win Hill) you wrote > ... I don't know what your neighborhood is like, but I am in the > boonies ...

I'm glad you are slowly coming to realise your restricted experience.

You previously challenged me about how many different places I had visited. I gave an answer, and asked you how many continents, countries, and cities I had visited (capital cities in the last case, since I've visited innumerable cities).

Again I ask, how many have /you/ visited?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Tokyo is worse still. Back in the 1990's they converted all their taxis to LNG because otherwise the air was unbreathable there.

Yes - worldwide. And have lived in Tokyo and Brussels outside the UK.

It might work in Japan since you have to possess an off road parking space before you can own a car. Owning one is unnecessary in Tokyo.

They are not small changes - especially in countries which don't have profligate per capita energy consumption and electricity to spare.

Quite a few railway enterprises went spectacularly bust in the process bankrupting their investors who used the 10% deposit scheme and found themselves called upon to pay up the remaining 90% in the bust phase.

Be careful what you wish for. There are similarities with Tesla.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown