Plastic questions

Plastic questions:

(1) What type of plastic is the typical TV remote made from?

(2) What kind of glue would I need, MEK?

(3) Where would I buy like-plastic strips with a cross-section of

3/32" X 3/16" ?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions, by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that is the secret of happiness." -James Barrie

"Types of Plastic Used to Make TV Remotes"

If you disassemble the remote, you might see an abreviated plastic type code molded into the plastic, usually near the circular date marker. I'm not sure if this chart is what is used, but it seems a good starting point:

If you can't find the markings, try testing the plastic by burning a sample: "How to Identify Plastics"

MEK and acetone are suitable for solvent welding thermoplastics where a filler is not required. Done right, it works well. Done badly, it makes an impressive mess. You should probably identify the plastic type before selecting an adhesive.

Locally, I get my plastic pieces at Tap Plastics: There should probably be something similar in your area with Google.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

model hobby shop for the plastic

David Eather

Saw something on TV you didn't like?

Threw the remote against the wall?

Now. Now.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

And there, folks, you have a demonstration identifying bloggs as a blithering idiot. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

The helpful folks over at Curbell Plastics once published a plastics materials selection guide which is excellent, if you can get your hands on a copy. They may have it available for download on their website.

Do not use superglue on most plastic (which I'm sure you already know - so that comments is really intended for future lurker-imbeciles.)

Reply to
mpm