Insulating plastic sheet

Does anyone know where to get that plastic sheet lining that is used inside the metal case of electronic fluorescent ballasts to wrap around the PCB where they would otherwise not meet the creepage and clearance requirements of IEC specs? I think it is also used in some power supplies.

Ideally I would like to find a type that is already recognised by the safety test labs, and that is fire retardent.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Chris Jones schrieb:

Hello,

you may look for kapton foils.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

"Chris Jones"

** Why not use that reddish or grey coloured vulcanised fibre sheeting that you see everywhere ?

Will not easily puncture or tear like plastics do and is not easily combustible.

Also known a "fishpaper", "leatheroid" or "elephant hide".

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks. I will consider that stuff. It was also a useful source of search terms that turned up these products:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

You want paper. Nomex transformer paper. 1500 volts per mil.

You can get it from one mil thick to over 50 mils.

As far as plastic goes, even the worst choice likely has the dielectric strength to act as an insulator. But there are plenty of polymers which are actually used for and sold for this purpose.

Not just one.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I haven't heard the term Fish paper in a long time. Nomex is preferred, even 94V-0. I don?t know if fish paper has a rating.

Martin Riddle

lation/dp/94F4073

GC ELECTRONICS - 560 - FIBROID FISH PAPER ELECTRICAL INSULATION

10"x24" $9.63

Q: Is this material UL Recognized; if so, what is the file number? A: This part is UL listed and the UL file number is E55656.

Fish Paper Gasketing

We have no idea where Fish Paper originally got it's unique name. It is not because it is used to wrap fish, put possibly because it looks like the paper used to wrap fish.

Intended for electrical applications involving high dielectric strength, plus good forming and bending qualities. Applications include all types of armature slot insulations, arc shields, coil insulations, insulation washers, and formed specialties.

Size: .010? x25? x40?

Fish Paper & Aramid Paper Alternative Fish paper and aramid paper are not always the best choices for electrical insulation. Alternative materials have characteristics that can reduce cost and improve design performance. Unlike fish paper, which is made of cellulose, and aramid paper, which is made of aramid fiber, Formex? polypropylene electrical insulation is non-hygroscopic (moisture absorption

Reply to
Greegor

"Martin Piddle"

** Nomex is just a tad expensive.

Works out at * A$170 * per square foot.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Horseshit. You can buy it in 4' x 8' sheets.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Nomex was one of the few plastics DuPont would not include in their sales brochure folder things. Even the Kapton sales folder came with full sized sample sheets.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader