photographing vellums

We're only a bit into the 21st century, so I still draw schematics on D-size vellum, but I'm finally giving up on the old diazo/ammonia blueline machine to make copies for other people.

These drawings photograph poorly, but I've found a way that works pretty well: tape them to a window backwards, so they photograph by transmission rather than by reflection. Transmission is the way that the blueline machine worked. Low room light helps.

Irfanview can flip and tweak the image and make a pretty good pic.

I'm not sure why backwards helps, but it seems to.

lunatic fringe electronics

On a sunny day (Tue, 02 Jul 2019 08:12:12 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Yes cameras are good for that. Does it also work when you hang it in front of a monitor that displays white? I have no 'vellum' here to try, a white rxvt in Linux makes a nice white screen. Adjustable brightness at that.

I use 'xv' in Linux to modify pictures.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

What, is that a drafting table? I moved mine out of my lab over 25 years ago. Hmm, I didn't see a drafting machine.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Yes, that's in fact a custom-built drafting table. I like to sit or stand there, look at the birds and plants [1], and draw. I find drawing with a good pencil a lot faster and more creative than working on a screen.

I do use some design automation, an electric pencil sharpener and an electric eraser.

I use blue-grid paper and follow the lines, so I don't need a drafting machine. Looks fine.

[1] and ambulances. We're a few blocks from the Zuckerberg [2] SF General Hospital, the major trauma center around here. [2] He bought it for his wife.

lunatic fringe electronics

Maybe an alternative idea: 30 years ago I used to draw on A3 sized sheets of paper, printed for us with very thin blue lines, 5x5mm grid. They had a black title block and edge with 1-2-3 and A-B-C markings. When photocopying the blue lines disappeared. Pencil lines became black, good enough for first discussions with clients. Also did the 3-D drawings on those, looked fine. Of course later they were inked, on real drawing paper laid over the paper drawing.

Arie

Reply to
Arie de Muynck

I give my hand-drawn schematics to my PCB layout guy, who enters them into PADS and then does the board layout. He often has to create new library parts, which I don't have to do while I'm designing. I leave a lot of design notes on my vellums, that would clutter up a CAD schematic.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That's odd. Computer aided design usually lets you hide design notes so the y only clutter up the schematic when you turn them on. The philosophy is th at the schematic just presents the information that the viewer needs - it r eflects the net-list and displays it in a way that's more or less human-com prehensible - but there can be a whole data-base behind it (including all t he printed circuit layout information) which really would clutter up the sc hematic if your tried to display it all.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It's because pencil produces a lot of top-surface reflection.

I'm always dissatisfied with photos or scans of pencil drawings for that reason. Even after you apply a radical brightness/contrast adjustment they're just no-where as good as if done in ink.

Maybe if could be better if you use radical side-lighting, like below 30 degrees of incidence.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I use a Brother MFC6490CW all-in-one, and it produces good scans of B-size vellum drawings. $300, no chips in the ink cartridges, no worries.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs