OT: Tooth care

My teeth tend to get badly stained despite rigorous brushing with a "Whitening" toothpaste.

Recently purchase Sonicare toothbrush from Costco (whatever model they had on sale, locally). So far, the results have been encouraging!

(Though you do have to be careful not to let the backside of the vibrating brush contact your teeth -- it rattles the bones in your head!)

Discouraging that many reviewers claim the product has a high failure rate...

Reply to
Don Y

Very often, the battery won't hold charges for more than 1 min or 2. Still usable, but not as good.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

My wife and I have had a Sonicare for about 5 years and have had no problems. We are running an unintended experiment, I keep mine on the charger, she only puts hers on the charger when it needs charging. They are both still going strong. However, I recently went in for cleaning and checkup.($120) I had a cavity and a sticky filling. So setup an appointment to get those done. I was eating pork skin and broke a tooth, no pain but a big piece. I went to the appointment and got the two teeth repaired. ($240) And got another appointment for a crown, went in for that and found they are now made with cubic zirconium. They fit it and it went very smoothly, didn't need to adjust anything.($950)

Total $1,310, damn, I would have rather put it into Vanguard VTSAX!

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I am using one now. It replaced the first one where the little metal thing that the brush stabs on broke (internally).

I like it but you might notice that it modulates the frequency if the pressure on your teeth is more than it likes. Don't do that. I like more force, too, but they don't.

Reply to
John S

In looking through the reviews, there didn't seem to be a concensus as to reliability. Note that even folks who complained about failures gave the product high marks...

Worth knowing. The package came with two units (SWMBO has no interest so I now have two electric toothbrushes: two-fisted brushing?? :> ) I've decided it is probably best to alternate between them instead of putting one on a shelf and HOPING it still works 2+ years from now when/if the first fails (i.e., acknowledging that battery chemistry is a likely potential long-term problem)

Many people here go to MX or panama for dental work. The cost of travel being less than the savings on the procedures!

(I'm not keen on having to make that trip a SECOND time when/if something goes south!)

Reply to
Don Y

Ah, that's unfortunate! If it was just a battery issue, I figure I could always replace or augment (AFTER warranty period expires).

OTOH, if I can skip one cleaning annually, I could afford to replace the thing every 6 months!

I think some models have a "pressure sensor" -- whatever that is/does. Trying to sort out which model/features is optimal was a frustrating effort as they have offerings from $30 - $220 (for a toothbrush??)

Reply to
Don Y

It probably just senses the motor current.

scrub too hard and you remove enamel.

Jasen Betts

It could also sense the deflection of the "lever" that the brush forms. This translates into different sorts of "issues" depending on the "roughness" of the brush tip (there are different types of tips that target different "treatments")

I think the bigger worry is that you very *quickly* (i.e., in a matter of seconds) can tear or abrade the soft gum tissues.

Reply to
Don Y