OT: Shut it down

Who want to see the government shut down?

I DO, even if it cost delay in my tax refund, as the Pres. said so.

I advocate 1% per month across the board cut, no exceptions.

Oh yeah, that's inflation.

Just shut it down and let inflation take care of us.

Reply to
linnix

I always muse about Arizona's past governor Evan Mecham...

In my opinion he was the best governor of Arizona, ever!

He couldn't get anything passed by the Legislature.

He vetoed anything the Legislature tried to pass.

So government was ideal... at a dead standstill.

And he was always good for a laugh a day... as in his defense of the word "pickaninny"...

And he was internationally known: My first trip to Germany I flew into Zurich, but returned via Frankfurt. Returning the rental car at Frankfurt, in a wind-driven snow-storm, I got on the wrong level and couldn't find the Avis return. Saw some cops issuing parking tickets, so I stopped and asked directions. Since I was unfamiliar with the Frankfurt Airport, one cop offered to ride with me!! As we drove, we chatted, I mentioned that I was from Arizona. Immediately the cop said, "Evan Mecham" ;-)

I was stunned that Mecham was known world-wide.

Even more astonishing... once we reached the Avis garage, the cop helped me carry my luggage UP (*) to the counter.

Those of you who know Frankfurt Airport will know of the itty-bitty elevators ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I've recently found that it's legal to trap pigeons in California, as long as the trap has ample food and water for them to consume until you mercifully kill them.

And then, of course, you have virtually free squab. ;-D

And most greens are edible, if they're prepared properly.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

So we can all reduce our 2011 federal income taxes prorated by the number of days the gov't is closed....right? no services, no pay...

Mark

Reply to
Mark

ROFL - Ample food and water, like we should consider their feelings until we put them out of their misery ?. In England, we shoot pigeons, as they are classed as vermin. Tough meat though and the only way to cook them into something edible is to hang until a little gamey, then in the slow cooker for several hours...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

I think they want to consider the feelings (and votes) of people who don't want to hear the pitiful sounds of dying animals trapped for days in a confined space without food or water.

Apparently, in California, you're supposed to render "assistance" to a "wounded or maimed" pigeon (after you feed, water, and subsequently shoot it).

as apparently in most US states:

In the immortal words of Tom Lehrer:-

Reviews selected by Lehrer for his liner notes

"Mr. Lehrer's muse is not fettered by such inhibiting factors as taste." ? The New York Times (9 February 1959) "More desperate than amusing" ? New York Herald Tribune "He seldom has any point to make except obvious ones" ? The Christian Science Monitor "Plays the piano acceptably" ? The Oakland Tribune

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Tom Lehrer and Jean Ritchie were the performers a my MIT Junior Prom (1960 :-) ...Jim Thompson

[snip]

I prefer the term "environmentalist" to "green".

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ Have a pleasant Terran revolution.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

A rose by any other name... they still smell like shit ;-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Hmm, they must really be hard to prepare, then.

Reply to
krw

You think it's bad now, just wait until next year, and the year after. As the situation gets exponentially worse, even Congress will realize they have a crisis on their hands. The arguments about hurting the economic recovery are pure bs because there is no recovery now or in the foreseeable future, only a sure and steady decline with massive unemployment and underemployment. America thinks it's cool to let stupid and unqualified people run their most important institutions, so now it's time to pay the price.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I do - at least for a day. There's a bike-restricted path in a local wildlife preserve that I want to get to the end of. It's too far to walk - 12 miles R/T is the best I've managed so far (while on nature photo-safari).

With the park rangers off-duty, we should be able to sneak our bikes in.

Reply to
mpm

Jim Thompson schrieb:

Hello,

I assume you were talking in english with the policeman. Is there a chance to find a policeman in the USA talking german? But you probably were not talking to policemen, but to officials responsible for parking tickets only, but not for other policeman jobs.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Yes.

Perhaps in Wisconsin, but I doubt anywhere else.

Possibly. But they were in police uniform and armed.

What was "un-American" was his riding with me and his helpfulness.

I also saw some "un-American" police behavior at an accident scene (on the Autobahn between the Swiss border and Bühlertal). The police had out push-brooms getting all the broken glass out of the way.

Of course I very much enjoyed their VW vehicles with Porsche engines ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Of course, back in about 1995 I got rousted by two German cops in the airport for a horrifyingly blatant theft--I had my laptop power supply plugged in to the wall socket. (These were also armed, uniformed police, not rentacops.)

You got one a nice one, but I've never met one like that in Germany. What's German for 'chingada'? Seems like the word should get lots of use.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Does Chicken Kiev count? Otherwise, not yet. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I wouldn't want to cause any animal, including some of the human variety, any suffering, but the thought of having to feed and water vermin before you dispatch them sounds like a political correctness step too far. Perhaps that's why we shoot, rather than trap in the uk.

I spent a lot of my youth in the country, among farmers, where the cycle of life and death is an an everyday part of life. It doesn't mean that farmers have any less respect for life, just that they accept it as part of the natural cycle of things. I doubt if many city people now would ever eat meat again if they had to go hunt and prepare it for the table. Some of them seem to care more about animals than they do about people...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

As a West Virginia country boy... both grandfathers were farmers, both of my parents were raised on those farms, I can attest to that.

Makes one appreciate that liberals are disposable ;-) ...Jim Thompson

25 years after conservatives started discussing the matter of millions dying from malaria due to the ban on DDT for the sake of birds, liberals finally became aware of the issue and of the fact that the human death toll has reached 50 million, but they still don't want to lift the ban.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso