Technics Amp Shut-down Protection

I have a Technics SA-GX505 amp/receiver that runs fine for a while, shuts off for a few minutes, and then will come back on, etc. It tends to run longer at lower volumes before shutting off; however, no components appear to be getting hot, not even the main power amp. And the cooling fan works fine, which is driven from the speaker output level.

I have the service manual which is a little help, but nothing looks obvious. It's not the output relays that are kicking in, but the main power supply relay. It's RL 751 and its driver Q751 are driven by RLY (pin 27) on IC 901 the main microcomputer. So it appears the protection circuitry is working, I just don't know what's triggering it. Any ideas what to check? Speaker impedance is OK, and again, no obvious heat issues. In my experience, most of these problems tend to be with the main power amp (IC 601- SVI3206C). Should I just start there; any other ideas?

Many Thanks, -Bob

Reply to
butlercellars

are you sure about that heat issue?

if you're 100% absolutely positive it's not heat..then it's possible you got a bad sensor, OR, you could have a componet that's failing under minimal heat, it could be a failed componet in the protection curcutiry. if whatever pin on whatever chip that triggers the protection cut off, if something in the circuit fails..it could cause it to go high or low (talking logic-probe stuff here) and trigger it.

if you sent me a schametic, i may be able to give you some places to look.

Reply to
BongBoy

Replace fan.

Reply to
Damir Friscic

I don't know anything about that receiver, but if you just bought it recently, you might want to check the voltage input selector. If your in the US, set it to 120V. I've seen receivers come from out the county that have a different input voltage selected. If it's temperature related, try cooling the components using ciruit cooler spray.

Good luck!

Reply to
sssayers

Replacing the fan was the first thing I did and I even tried the .1uf cap across the fan trick, but results are the same. The amp even has the same symptoms with or without the fan installed. I'm on my second can of freeze-it, but that has no effect either. Any other ideas?

Reply to
butlercellars

I had a technics a while back in the shop that was giving be problems. It would go into shutdown. The shutdown was caused by the fan intermittently not turning. The fan tested fine out of the unit. As i recall, it was either oxidized connector where the fan connected to the unit, or bad solder joints on the connector.

Bob

Bob Urz

Bob,

I have the SA-GX550 and it is doing the same thing. If you figure out anything on your own, please post the solution. I'll do the same. My power IC is the SVI3206D. Contacts for the fan look fine.

--
fish*man
Reply to

Hi there

I have an SA-GX505 with similar problem. But my receiver turns off completely, like the ac power cord had been pulled out of the outlet, like there was no AC power at all. What i find to be the cause of this was the little transformer responseble for the standby power. If you have any problem in finding it, look around the big transformer and you´ll find the little one. This little motherf.. has become intermitent with its 15 years of intense use and turns the receiver off every time it warms up. Replece this S.O.B. and you will get your equipment working fine...

Best regards.

Reply to
Adalberto_Ruschel

I saw an older entry on another forum. Basically said the amp would go into protect shutdown if it didn't sense the fan running at higher output levels. I have never seen my fan spin. The contacts look good but I cleaned them anyway. Held a voltmeter across the contacts for a long time but never saw anything. Good resistance across the fan. I'll look below the contacts to the solder joints on the card next.

--
fish*man
Reply to

Update: solder joints show good continuity. Fan circuit works as advertised with volume above 10. Removing the fan and turning up the volume activates the overload circuit, all as advertised.

Per troubleshooting guidance in manual, looking into possible speaker issues as cause for activation of protection circuitry.

Anyone else having any luck? Butlercellars?

--
fish*man
Reply to

Swapped out speakers and checked both A side and B side. Same results. Back to a problem with a component on one of the boards. Anybody out there?

--
fish*man
Reply to