OT: Big Brother IS Watching.

Big Brother IS Watching...

Made a cash (

Why deposit $100? Just spend it!

I don't enter a bank even once a year any more.

Up here in Truckee, the Wells Fargo ATMs are in a sort of entry room to the main bank, so you don't have to stand in a blizzard and do stuff. Our ATM cards open the door 24/7 to that warm little room.

Great place for the homeless to stay...

Reply to
Robert Baer

They'd need a Wells Fargo ATM card to get in. And I suspect there's some surveillance. There don't seem to be many homeless up here. The town seems to have one panhandler, on duty at the entrance to the Safeway parking lot.

I haven't had to show ID for a deposit, I did have a teller want to fill out a government form for an $8,000 deposit I wanted to make, mostly checks, I said forget it, I went to a different teller the next day. Another time the teller ask if I wanted to know my balance, I said sure, the number she gave my was $10,000 more than I knew I had, I told her and she was confident she was right, she suggested my wife probably added it. I knew better, but it wasn't worth an argument, within a day or two I got notice of a deposit it error. MY $10,000 vanished! Another time, just after moving to Florida, My wife (that Asian chick) and I wanted to open a bank account and deposit a check for $65,000 and a small amount of cash. The bank would not open an account for me and my wife. We didn't want any money, just a place to park some money. (Were we being profiled?) We went across the street and opened our account. I bad mouthed the bank that wouldn't open an account for 10 years, then they opened a very convenient branch near my home and we started using them. After 4 or 5 years they closed that branch, so now we're with another close to home bank. I have been online bill paying for 18 months now, it is great. I had a bill recently that I new I had written a check and paid, got online, with a few clicks I had a copy of both sides of the check to provide to the double biller showing that I paid. I wonder if double billing was a new profit center for his business? Mikek What is a blizzard?

Reply to
amdx

Sort of a cross between a buzzard and a penguin.

The only thing I use cash for is $6 once a week for lottery tickets. ...Jim Thompson

show photo-ID to put money INTO the bank?!!!

isn't that backwards?

I once had to argue with a teller, then the manager, at a bank to put $230 into someone's account. They did NOT want to accept the cash, even knowing who I was, because my name was not listed on that particular account?! After arguing for some time and showing how ludicrous their statements were, they finally acquiesced. Geesh! Can't even give people money in the US.

Reply to
RobertMacy

I've been online bill paying for over 10 years now but recently found that there can be issues. I paid a water bill to the city but had been negligent about my property tax bill. They wanted me to prove the water bill was up to date before they would say it was all paid up and not in line for auction on the courthouse steps. I tried to get a copy of the online payment for the water bill and found no copy of the check at my bank's web site. On calling the bank informed me that the bill payment service company had the option of paying the bill from my account or from theirs in which case the copy of the check was not available online. They would have to mail me a copy. I was working against a deadline and 100 miles from my residence, so none of that worked for me. They were also incapable of emailing me a copy of the check.

This is partly because of changes in how the check clearing houses work after a change in the law a few years ago. The bank that receives the check can opt to image the check and destroy the paper copy rather than return it. I'm not sure why this means my bank would not have the image on the web site.

--

Rick
Reply to

Both banks that I deal with provide check images in the statement. I'm careful to download as soon as they are available.

But a lot of my automated bill pays have no check involved, so I usually print the confirmation out to a pdf AND a paper copy.

So far I've had zero issues, and I've been doing this for _many_ years. ...Jim Thompson

I only have show identity when receiving cash. No identity proof needed for deposits.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

The only things I do not use cash for is gasoline and internet purchases.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I was reviewing my account online and noticed a check number that I wrote out at the bottom of one screen and at the top of the next screen, was the same check number withdrawn twice.. I check and checked and then I checked the time stamp, they were a few minuts apart . That open a whole can of worms because when I brought it to their attention, I got an Email from the main branch in my regular Email with all my account information, which they are not suppose to do, indicating that the money was put back into my account. You see, they are suppose to inform you to log into your online account to get any sensitive messages or they send you a letter.

I made a copy of this Email and brought it to a local branch I do business with and showed it to them. They quickly got on the horn with the main branch. I received a letter after that stating that this action has been corrected.. what ever that meant... :)

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Semiconductor business a little slow?

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

What is your point?

--

Rick
Reply to

Just pointing out how it's properly done. However it looks like none of the air in your head was replaced with knowledge >:-} ...Jim Thompson

How often do you purchase the internet? :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The limit is $10K, but they're also required to report anything they think it suspicious. Tellers will often err on the side of reporting. OTOH, if they know you and you're in a cash business, they'll be a lot easier.

That's not unusual. Mistakes happen. However, if you'd withdrawn the money, you could be charged with fraud.

Profiled? Likely, but blame the government.

Wouldn't think so. It's too easy to catch.

That's when we have 1" of snow.

Reply to
krw

I've run into this a few times, and had to ask why. I was told more than once creepy stalkers and overbearing family members will deposit money into accounts where the other person doesn't want it. The other issue I was told is it's for security if the teller messes up and accidentally prints the balance. They don't care for business accounts as unless you're a signer, you don't get to withdraw or see the balance anyways.

It's all stupid at first glance, but sort of makes sense.

There's other was information can "leak" to you. If somebody transfers money to your account, even with a withdrawl/and deposit, even with separate slip you can ask about it and they bank may tell you all about the other account. I've had this happen and I'm sure some sort of protocol was broken by the banker, but they see way more information than your statement and sometimes people just want to help a little too much.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Not really. Don't you get a receipt with your new balance on it?

I've changed bills (bought Franklins) at our bank and all they've asked was whether I had an account there but have never asked for any proof. I've never bought more than $1000 at a time, though.

Reply to
krw