Magnavox ZV450MW8A Remote Control Fix?

I have had this DVD/VCR combo unit for over 3 years now, and would like = to find out if anyone has found a 3rd party remote control that can be = used with it, or if the factory has a remote with upgraded software.

The device is top quality and the manual is excellent, but the remote is = so complicated and non-intuitive that if you don't use it every day, you = have to go back to the manual, even after this long time.

The manual does leave out some basic steps -- like how to set the record = speed (which they call "mode"). I'm fairly good with electronics = (servicing industrial electronics is my business) and took me a good = year before I could make basic settings without looking it up.

Most of the features can't be done from the device and must be done via = the remote control which is cryptic. It has way too many buttons, even = for a combo unity, and has tiny labels that can't be read in a darkened = room. If you hit a wrong button, sometimes it is impossible to figure = out how to return the device to normal use without digging out the = manual again. My manual is well worn and has many notes scribbled in it = now.

One problem is that when you are using the timer, you have to turn the = device off and on with a button other than the ON/OFF button. If your = lovely wife comes in and used ON/OFF, it disables the timer, and must be = reset again with the special non-ON/OFF button.

It is a real shame that such a fine device from a good manufacturer has = such a poor user interface. A better designed remote would completely = change the usability.

Bob

Reply to
Guv Bob

Even the best universal remote cannot simplify your situation. You really need a menu-type remote system to make a complex device tractable. VCR play and DVD play are different buttons? Or a mode switch and the same button? Does the mode change if a tape is inserted? Can you eject tape remotely? Eject DVD remotely? Sometimes, it takes two 'devices' on a universal remote to do the job, and sometimes it takes learning and shift keys...

You'd still need the manual, as well as a notebook on the universal remote's setup.

Reply to
whit3rd