Ken Shirriff is a beast

Bitcoin mining on the world's only working Apollo Guidance Computer.

Just because.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(His other stuff is good too.)

-- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

Phil Hobbs

It appears that BitCoin is working to infect every single computer on earth!

Is this an example of Intelligent Design or what?

Ducking.

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

The Xerox Alto is not that much faster at 1.5 hashes/sec

The 8 bit Arduino/AVR does about 150 hashes/sec at 16 MHz.

Reply to
bitrex

also by way of comparison a Pentium III Coppermine single core desktop processor from 20 years ago does around 250,000 hashes/sec and an Arm Cortex M0 microcontroller around 50k iirc.

Reply to
bitrex

Ken and his Computer Museum colleagues brought this AGC back from the dead, which is pretty cool. (I'm from then, so I care.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I've been watching the Youtube channel , CuriousMarc. It's neat they have all theschematics and drawings. And even had Samtec mfg the connector pins for the AGC.

Also the Computer History Museum allowed them to Read the Rope memory modules they had on display.

Martin Riddle

I watched the series on YT a while back, the one where they were all camped out in a hotel room with components of the computer everywhere.

It reminded me of years ago when my only "lab" such as it was was in a corner of my mother's cottage and when sometimes a substitute housekeeper/aide for her would come on Tuesdays I just figured they'd either call the police or they'd seen much worse than that.

Reply to
bitrex

Well, now Samtec can advertise that they made connectors for the Apollo program, so everybody wins. ;)

Computer steampunk--gotta love it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

CHS used to be in downtown Boston before Mountain View "stole" it from us. Back when it seemed like 1 in 4 people in New England worked for DEC.

Reply to
bitrex

Have you seen the Cliff Stoll video and his old electronic calculator?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yup.

Stoll is a bit of a beast too, though not on the same scale. I did enjoy "The Cuckoo's Egg" long ago.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Dumb.

Very primitive architecture even in its day.

It almost caused a crash landing:

And navigation control in an interpreter???

Apollo was not a scientific breakthrough, it was a gigantic waste of money. Nerd welfare, very unimpressive bunch.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

It was the first and most expensive Reality-TV series :-)

Reply to
upsidedown

u a nerd on welfare

Reply to
bitrex

Huh? The AGC was overloaded and automatically deleted a low priority task, so it could land safely!

Martin Riddle

So what? In some real and philosophical respects, all computer hardware and software can be regarded as an interpreter.

Correct. But it was many many engineering breakthroughs.

Arguably and false. Apollo was very impressive, even for those that didn't (and in your case don't) understand the engineering.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Actually it was just the opposite. The astronaut wanted to use the radar al timeter to land, and the rtos kept kicking his command out because of overl oad. Then some ground control "brainiac" (sarcasm) figured out, in the midd le of damned landing, that he should use some kind of 'GO' command override instead. The ground control "brainiac" was later awarded a presidential me dal for his service, presumably for saving the U.S. from an ever more obvio us national embarrassment.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

That's kind of a wackadoodle comment.

Your idea of "understanding" something is delusional.

You obviously didn't see this:

VERB? NOUN? Are you kidding me??? The interface was laughable!

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

That was particularly true for most computers in the 1960's-90's when most pre-RISC computers were microprogrammed.

Also most industrial control systems are programmed in interpretive systems like IEC-61131 or similar vendor specific systems.

Reply to
upsidedown

Not to those that understand the philosophical concepts and practical engineering concepts.

See snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com response to my post.

I suggest you try to do better with the technology available at the time. You will fail.

Reply to
Tom Gardner