Irma sustained winds exceed 3-second gust design limit Florida buildings

A completely out-of-context building code flyer:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

You're right, for once.

Reply to
krw

No worry, it's still heading west. Actually I don't believe it will make that right turn.

Martin Riddle

That's the eye, but the wind and rain bands span the whole width of the peninsula.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

So what might the total force be on a big office building in a 185 MPH wind?

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

If it's "linear" ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE

But then the building can withstand fairly huge forces. The WTC were design ed for 200MPH sustained winds, according to the structural engineer who hea ded up the design team. But Florida construction is not in the same league. If anything does fail it will be a catastrophic type of failure, not at al l graceful. Stuff may still get warped even if it doesn't fail.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Usually residential buildings can withstand more force from the outside in than from the inside out. In a strong storm, something vulnerable like a window or a roof panel will fail first, and then the wind enters the building through that hole and excerts forces from the inside out, which makes the building "blow up". That is why windows are boarded.

Reply to
Rob

It is unless the gusts excite a resonance, then the building gets all squiggly wiggly and everyone runs for their lives.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

One common failure mode of buildings along the Gulf Coast is that they are gone. Maybe just a concrete slab left.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Martin Riddle wrote on 9/9/2017 11:12 AM:

Based no what exactly? Are you taking into account the high pressure located over Texas? That's like a big hill and Irma is a bowling ball. It ain't going over that hill.

Interesting the news isn't reporting much about the damage in Cuba which likely has been very pummeled. I guess we still don't communicate much with them. Too bad, we should be working together on things like this.

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

The NHC consensus track. Looks like it's going up the west coast of Florida now. Then it it's heading more northwest across Georgia and eastern Alabama into TN and KY. But it's just a windstorm by then, maybe some power line damage type of storm.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Why were you saying Irma was *not* going to turn northward? Actually you said it wasn't going to make a right turn. Were you thinking it was going to make three lefts?

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

That's going back a few days when a northward turn would have put it on track to land mid-Atlantic coast. There was a mid-Atlantic high pressure region that prevented it and actually steered Irma west by southwest.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

According to CBS, Cuba has perfect preparedness. Much like their healthcare system, I guess. They'll be just fine.

krw

The result might be something like your Millennium Tower.

Reply to
krw

No, actually you replied to my post to Martin. I saw your reply to his same post mistakenly thinking I had replied to you. Not sure why you replied to my post to Martin.

Bottom line is the storm is following pretty exactly the European model track which the weather people have been saying all along is the most accurate model of them all. I don't know why anyone would suggest the storm wasn't going to turn when *all* the models said it would.

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

What was the date on that post?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Irma is now in the Gulf of Mexico. Nobody expected that a week or two ago.

Maybe they need bigger computers.