Interesting instrument

Please tell me about it. I can't stand to listen to that guy.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

AIM-TTi I-Prober 520 Current Probe Review There was a link to it in a previous thread about current monitoring.

5MHz bandwidth flux gate magnetometer.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I had EXACTLY the same reaction!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Sorry, guys. I accidentally posted this when I meant to send it to a coworker.

Apologies.

Reply to
John S

I had it playing in the background as I tested an instrument. I looked fun, ~mA to A resolution, calibration for trace width looked tweaky... But think of it as a magnetic field sensor and you are fine.

For low fields is a flux gate more sensitive than GMR?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yup. I watch the occasional teardown video of his, mostly to learn more about good/bad construction practices, but there's no way I could take a steady diet of that voice. The editorializing about things he knows nothing about gets a bit old too.

Jones seems to work pretty hard at it, though, and kudos to him for all his tutorials and explanations for beginners.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Flux gates are limited by Barkhausen noise, iirc--the domains kind of rattl e around as they switch.

GMR is a huge effect, so I expect it's quieter but maybe less linear than a flux gate. (Not that I've built either one myself.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

tle around as they switch.

a flux gate. (Not that I've built either one myself.)

I made a flux gate... well helped a colleague get his to work better. I know little about GMR. I only looked at pictures here, (from 1999)

GMR looks to have a fair amount of hysterisis, which would make it not so g reat for small field AC stuff.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Same here. It's a shame as this chap does make some really interesting vids.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom