How close to rails?

Hi again

This time designing a simple v to f using an opamp. Again it needs to use w hatever parts are to hand from scrap consumer goods, nothing will be bought . Question is how close to the rails can the inputs go while ensuring 90-95 % of opamps will work? I'm out of date regarding the opamps on the market.

AFAICT the most common opamp out there in consumer gear is LM358. 324 is a lso quite popular.

The thing will run at audio frequencies.

thanks, NT

Reply to
meow2222

Depending on the OP-amp, I would stay within 1.5 volt of the rails. Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

whatever parts are to hand from scrap consumer goods, nothing will be boug ht. Question is how close to the rails can the inputs go while ensuring 90-

95% of opamps will work? I'm out of date regarding the opamps on the market .

I'm out of date, too, but if you expect to re-use from scrap, are surface-m ount op amps really candidates? Also,can you rule out 5.5V absolute-max rated op amps?

uA741 wants 3V from any supply rail; LM307 tolerates positive-rail; LM324 a nd LM358 tolerate negative-rail, but not positive-rail; many others can go rail-to-r ail. I'd consider the LM358 and LM324 only, and (for instance) advise that any part number that is replaceable by NTE #987 is an LM324, and any part that is replaceable by NTE #928 is an LM358. As long as NTE keeps their crossr eference catalog active, that'll be some kind of guide.

Reply to
whit3rd

se whatever parts are to hand from scrap consumer goods, nothing will be bo ught. Question is how close to the rails can the inputs go while ensuring 9

0-95% of opamps will work? I'm out of date regarding the opamps on the mark et.

-mount op amps

s?

and LM358

-rail.

at

sreference

Sm 8 pinners are certainly reusable. I want to avoid ruling out anything if possible, the more that can be made from available materials the better. D iffering battery voltages will be required for different opamps. Upto date information can't be counted on, people are likely to still be using data w ell over a decade old, and to use opamps that don't exist today. Info that needs regular updating won't be practical.

I think probably a simple option is to specify PSU voltages for currently p opular opamps, use dual rail supplies and accept that in many cases they wo n't function close to the rails. I think its a shortcoming that's best acce pted. I had somewhat forgotten about the old 741 and its rail hating tenden cies, I can't say I've noticed any in products in ages though.

All I need next is a list of popular opamps and I can go get data.

thanks

NT

Reply to
meow2222