HDMI in-ports vs HDMI out-ports (possibly related to damaged monitor HDMI OUT to OUT)

Here is my question:

Why does the Denon A/V Receiver 1909 have a difference in labelling at the back ?

At the back there are 4 HDMI ports, all of same connector type, all female or male... no difference. These all appear to be female.

3 ports are labelled as "in"... for example tv/dvd/hdp.

1 port is laballed as "out/monitor".

I connected the PC's graphics card to A/V receiver HDMI out/monitor first.

I kinda had a bad feeling about this... just slightly...

But I thought:

1. Probably won't cause damage, never happened before in 25 years of computer equipment handling.

2. Graphics/Monitor kinda belong together.

However...

This is now connecting:

GT 520 HMDI graphics OUT  with A/V receiver HDMI OUT.

So where is my question:

What happens when two HDMI OUTPUT ports are connected together ?! WTF ?!

How is this even possible ?!

Also why would there ever be a male and female connectors ?! I have seen this this is weird.

Isn't HDMI supposed to be Peer 2 Peer ?!?

So another really important question:

What is the difference between HDMI IN and HDMI OUT ?!?!?!?!?

Could connecting OUT to OUT cause DAMAGE ?!?!??!

What happens to the GT 520 ?! When it's connected like this ?!

Will it dump excessive voltage on the chasis ?!

What if chasis is not grounded ?!

Will this voltage end up into the DVI cable connected to monitor causing damage ?!?!?!?!?!?

GT 520 has 3 outputs, vga, dvi, hdmi.

dvi was connected to monitor
hdmi was connected to a/v receiver hdmi out briefly... then it didn't work switched it over to hdmi in on receiver...

To me it seems this out 2 out may have caused damaged. Or  switching the cable over from the 3 different hdmi's in to experiment ?

Bye,
  Skybuck.

Re: HDMI in-ports vs HDMI out-ports (possibly related to damaged monitor HDMI OUT to OUT)
I am starting to suspect this may have something to do with it:

A quote from somewhere on the web:

"
 As it turns out, the signal pin used for HDMI with Ethernet is also used f
or the HDMI Audio Return Channel feature, which greatly improves operation
with sound bars and AVR?s.
"

The denon 1909 is only hdmi 1.3a or something like that.

Perhaps this re-assignment of pins somehow caused damaged/voltages to float
 around in the PC ending up in the monitor.

Bye,
  Skybuck.

Re: HDMI in-ports vs HDMI out-ports (possibly related to damaged monitor HDMI OUT to OUT)

This balances that reasonable (non-stupid) question about ferrites.

Yes.  Output drivers should have protection but don't rely on it.

Re: HDMI in-ports vs HDMI out-ports (possibly related to damaged monitor HDMI OUT to OUT)
On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 06:45:23 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Wrong.  Your PC HDMI port is an OUTPUT and goes to one of the three
input ports, along with your media player, CD/DVD/BluRay player, or
camera server.  The 4th OUTPUT port goes to your monitor or display.
There should be some kind of wiring diagram pictorial in the Denon
manual that you've obviously not read.

Hint:  Intuition works.  If it feels wrong, it probably is wrong.

Re: HDMI in-ports vs HDMI out-ports (possibly related to damaged monitor HDMI OUT to OUT)

<https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avr1909?docname=AVR-1909-OM-E_202A.pdf
Pg 13.  under "Connecting the Monitor".

Re: HDMI in-ports vs HDMI out-ports (possibly related to damaged monitor HDMI OUT to OUT)

Well there's the first problem!
HDMI has only been out since 2002.  Do the math.

Re: HDMI in-ports vs HDMI out-ports (possibly related to damaged monitor HDMI OUT to OUT)

25 years of taking the shit his rich parents bought him apart.
He is essentially a moron with the wrong set of "leave that the fuck
alone" instilled in him

  Someone claiming to be so "mechanically inclined" so have garnered a
bit more actual sense from it.  "electrical inclination" never entered
his picture.

Site Timeline