Electricity Pain versus Frequency

Interesting........

Kluge

There's also a specific feeling for different waveforms due to muscle contractions and stuff.

And how do I know ? Around here medical tests performed by medical professionals need to apply for a license from an ethical board. Engineers do not have such ethical limitations and my company sells R&D services. And since the company owner / manager is not protected by the local OSHA regulation as well as employees, guess who gets the electrodes for any new medical prototype before ethical board approval ?

-- mikko

Reply to
Mikko OH2HVJ

Quite funny, but hardly new. Many cochlear implant patients went through similar experiences in the early days...

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Yes, HF AC can be very dangerous because there's no shock, just cooking.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Does anyone know if tasers are designed to optimise the waveform, duty cycle and frequency to get the most shock value for minimum energy expenditure?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You'd think so - I've read about 19Hz for Tasers, which is close to the (17Hz IIRC) ringing voltage frequency on old telephones. I've been shocked both by 50Hz mains and a hand cranked phone many times, but not in a controlled experiment.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Again, crappy lip synch. Perhaps we should go back to a film movie camera made to simultaneously record sound and image....

Reply to
Robert Baer

You know that would be a good R & D paper you could publsh with. Why not experiment on yourself, I am sure you'll get lots of readers.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Now that I remember, I actually got an OT question related to this.

There's a local pain research group who is currently using CO2 laser to zap the test subjects (people) and measuring the nerve potentials and timing. Getting to the surgery to use the CO2 and having all the formalities done is quite an annoyance for them. Er:YAG laser would be even better for their purposes, but there's no such thing at the local hospital. Nd:YAG definetely goes too deep and causes tissue damage.

When visiting them, I got an idea that you might be able to use a small SMD resistor or some other heating element to induce similar sharp heat related pain.

The specific heat and size of the element should be as small as possible for fast temporal response. It's been a while I visited the professor, but I think they used something like 1-3mm spot size and 100-500mJ pulses.

I was thinking of some pulse-withstanding small SMD resistor with thin wires welded. As high voltage and resistance as possible with higher ohms should reduce the wire thickness, which increase the system specific heat and nerve response from mechanical movement.

Any ideas for a suitable heating element ?

-- mikko

Reply to
Mikko OH2HVJ

Maybe a small thermal printhead?

Something like KS-09E from Kyocera:

You could increase the spot size by using more pixels.

I have no idea if the thermal printheads allow one to adjust the heating current or temperature.

--jussi

Reply to
Jussi Ilvonen

An 0402 resistor on a bit of flex, maybe?

Flex has the best electrical/thermal conductance ratio of anything.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

high power LED and magnifying glass?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On Wed, 2 Sep 2015 07:20:14 -0400, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

You can get flex with silver plated traces too. Even better.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

HV Zener diode? pulse the current?

George H.