Contact Enhancer, Battery Mfr

Because they look the same, and may even be made in the same factory, doesn't mean they are the same.

The warranty is worth something, though I've only used it once.

Not surprising. This is the sort of thing shopping clubs are good at.

Reply to
krw

Jeff Liebermann wrote on 6/4/2017 6:32 PM:

Nickle oxide is conductive. That's why model railroad tracks are often made with nickle. Brass oxidizes and has to be sandpapered to clean it. Nickle oxidizes but still works fine.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Thanks. I didn't know that NiO, Ni2O3, and NiO2 were conductive. However, there's very little nickel in a chrome plated battery contact terminal. Nickel is just an intermediate layer between the base steel and the surface chrome plating.

I was also a bit off on the plating of spring steel contacts. For steel, contacts are available in both nickel, tin, or an alloy of both: The various technical data sheets should show the composition.

If you have problems with rotten battery contacts, you might be able to find a replacement or subsitute here. Device manufacturers usually don't make their own custom battery contacts if a stock part is available:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

---------------------

** But Nickel oxide is an insulator.

** Many connectors are Nickel plated - jack plugs for example.

Normally they do not corrode much and are easily cleaned with a cloth.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

silver, or nickel is probably your best bet, could be tricky to apply.

Energiser has $10000 product damage guarantee, won't save your device but will replace it.

yeah, Duracell are poor quality.

Best procedure is take it apart, clean throughly and replace the contacts. see you-tube for dissassembly instructions.

Jasen Betts

So you are saying that brand new batteries that still have many years left on their printed cover are at end of life ?

I thought that Durcell stopped with the warranty protection. It leaks in an expensive gizmo and that is that.

I will try Panasonic batteries next buy.

Reply to
BatteryUser

BatteryUser wrote on 6/6/2017 4:59 PM:

It is still in place. It may not be as easy to use as it was. When I made my claim I just called them and they asked me the expiration date on the battery. They sent me a check for $100. Now the web page says you need to ship the batteries and product to them.

--

Rick C
Reply to

When you start out a post with "so you are saying...", it would be good to include something of what was said.

Just change them often and *never* leave a dead battery in any appliance. If it's something that's only used occasionally, like an emergency flashlight, replace the batteries after every use.

Reply to
krw

I guess you mean this: The expiration data on the package is 2014. I took the photo in Oct

2016, 2.8 years after the batteries expired. I don't recall when I bought the batteries, but based on my typical consumption rate of AA and AAA alkalines, I would guess 2009. I would expect that such batteries should gracefully lose some percentage of their rated capacity after the expiration date, and not belch electrolyte all over the package and whatever they're powering.

Note that this problem is not unique or unusual: Read through the first few reader comments on Duracell and Kirkland batteries.

It's my understanding that the warranty is still in place, but that it's more difficult to obtain compensation for damage.

I guess you didn't read my rant upon which you're commenting. I don't think you're going to find any alkaline battery, from any manufacturer, that does not leak. I suggest you switch to rechargeable LSD NiMH, which also leak, but leak less. Or, if possible, but devices powered by LiIon batteries, which leak and self discharge even less than NiMH and alkaline.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote on 6/6/2017 11:31 PM:

I'm surprised that you would not see the problem here. If you bought milk with an expiration date of Tuesday, would you complain that the milk went sour on the Friday after? Batteries contain corrosive chemicals and are guarantied to leak if you let them sit long enough. Two years past expiration date doesn't sound like a lot, but you can't say it is the battery's fault.

BTW, if you check around you will find dated alkaline batteries are typically dated for a 10 year shelf life. So you likely bought that pack in

2004 or 2005. The article you cite talks about 2024 dated batteries and the article date is 2014.

I see a lot of applesauce. "Duracell "AA" and "AAA" alkaline batteries consistently leak at a 20 - 30% failure rate from packages no older than 4 months." So if I buy a pack of 48 cells, I should see leakage in 10 of them in 4 months? I've never seen a Kirkland cell leak and I've bought some half dozen packs, not counting the 9 volt batteries.

I think the only way to tell is to try. Did you contact Duracell about any leaking cells?

The issue is not leakage, but premature leakage. I've had two devices impacted by leaking alkaline batteries. One was clearly not left in a device past it's date because it was a clock that ran until the battery failed and the cell was dated so Duracell paid for it. I don't recall the other so much. It was a much less expensive item and the battery was a Rayovac. Their warranty required the return of the clock to them for examination and possible repair.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I was working on an excercise bike and decided to change batteries. I took out Duracells and they checked good. I don't know the exact date, but I figure they are at least 13 years old. Stuck them in flashlight. I was having problems with Harbor Freight batteries. Been using Dollar General lately.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Try Sunshine cells from Dollar Tree if there is one in your neighborhood. They've been reviewed by a number of folks and they seem to be as good as any.

--

Rick C
Reply to