Chipset for sending, receiving SMS only in GSM (no voice)

Hi, I am looking for some chipsets which will allow me to send receive SMS in GSM. My application is controlling / receiving status from a remote system/device using a GSM cell phone. I should be able to send SMS to the remote system using a cell phone and do desired control or obtain status through return SMS. No voice or any other features are required. If anyone knows about such chipsets, please let me know.

ab6997

Reply to
ab6997

What country are you in ?

If its in the USA, you can't.

If its in the EU, google has lots of single chip computer projects that will do this.

the rest are here:

donald

Reply to
Donald

Why not?

Best Regards

Steve Sousa

Reply to
Steve Sousa

The open ended question about using a GSM cell phone is the problem.

Special GSM modules is another matter.

A GSM module like this, fine:

But, as the question stands, No.

donald

PS: If anyone know of an off the shelf cell phone (GSM or otherwise) please please please correct me.

Reply to
Donald

How about using GSM data cards?

Reply to
miso

Siemens makes GSM modules, In the New England Area, even the european bands work with T-mobile.

Reply to
maxfoo

Because europe uses different bands than the US, but in the northeast US, T-Mobile uses US and EU bands so your european cell-phone will work in Massachusetts. That way the left-wing weenies can chat. ; ^ D

Reply to
maxfoo

Jim is this you ????

Reply to
Donald

You mean the GSM data cards you plug into a slot of a computer ???

Kinda misses the point, doesn't it.

donald

Reply to
Donald

That's me, but I don't get the context... I'm not a participant in this thread.

...Jim Thompson

I figured maxfoo must have been you from the commect, left wing and all that.

donald

Reply to
Donald

No chance ;-)

...Jim Thompson

AFAIK as long as the phone had "data" capabilities i.e, can work as a modem you could use it's AT command set to send sms, things like the siemens s25 or c25 nokias 6100, etc, many many cell-phones, that's why i thought it was strange, well, i only have experience with gsm european phones.

Best Regards.

Steve Sousa

Reply to
Steve Sousa