Challenge of the Day: from halogen transformer to battery charger

The only time I have seen the BR abbreviation is British Rail, and that was a long time ago.

Even if I could guess from the context, this is the first time I have seen BR to denote a bridge rectifier.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

te:

:

should be protected against overload & short, but making sure would be nee ded. Also would need to check they can tolerate the unexpected nature of th e load.

rging the battery? I'd be more worried about that. It is easy enough to a dd a current limit to the output, but to make a PSU into a battery charger is about the same as starting from scratch. Do you know the voltage output ? You said you wanted to charge a car battery. I guess that won't be too hard to do, but it is still a bit of work in terms of added circuitry.

say it'd be a good charger, it won't, but it will do the job if the psu can cope with the battery's interest in current. That 'if' is the big question , not from a safety pov but continuing to function rather than shutting dow n. Soon I'll try a couple & see.

r doesn't do a proper job of charging a battery it is pretty pointless and can actually damage the battery, so worse than just poor.

not even close.

ng one, so presumably, at least if you're at all sensible, I do.

t takes ac and charges a battery with it then you're either not an EE or ar e a silly troll.

a BR is and would like to share, then please do. Otherwise there is no po int having a discussion with you. I never said I didn't "understand" a BR, I said I don't know what it is. What does BR stand for? EAOWSA - Enginee rs are obsessed with silly abbreviations.

out a rectifier of some sort.

mple term.

I know what a bridge rectifier is. I didn't know that was what you were ta lking about. I've never seen anyone need to abbreviate that term. Abbrevi ations are usually applied to terms that are both frequently used and a bit tedious to type, bridge rectifier is neither. Here's some web searching f or BR.

It did show Bridgewire Resistance... getting close maybe.

Add "electrical abbreviation" to the search and I get...

Which simply refers to the battery type.

Nope, not there...

Not there either...

Siemens thinks it means Brake Relay...

Ahhh.... found it under component name abbreviations...

Yes, that was very easy to figure out.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

:

thout a rectifier of some sort.

simple term.

talking about. I've never seen anyone need to abbreviate that term. Abbre viations are usually applied to terms that are both frequently used and a b it tedious to type, bridge rectifier is neither. Here's some web searching for BR.

59

I just assumed we all knew the usual circuit diagram abbreviations, D, Tr, Q, BR etc

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I don't recall seeing Tr or BR as a ref des.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

r, Q, BR etc

I don't think I've ever really called them rectifiers other than that ones in my truck alternator. The bridge I just notate as D. It's drawn on the schematic as a diode bridge, so why add a special ref des especially a two letter one? I don't think I've ever used a two letter ref des.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Tr, Q, BR etc

s in my truck alternator. The bridge I just notate as D. It's drawn on th e schematic as a diode bridge, so why add a special ref des especially a tw o letter one? I don't think I've ever used a two letter ref des.

I routinely use 2 letters & so do many. I've never seen that as a problem.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

'CR' is a pretty common RefDes for a diode. We use 'IC', 'RA', and 'CN' for ICs, resistor arrays, and connectors. Those come to mind immediately and I'm sure there are others.

Reply to
krw

I'm with Rick C here.

IME diodes are 'D', ICs are 'U', resistor arrays are 'R', and connectors are 'J' for jack. Jacks are the less-mobile half of the connection, not any particular sex.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

:

D, Tr, Q, BR etc

ones in my truck alternator. The bridge I just notate as D. It's drawn on the schematic as a diode bridge, so why add a special ref des especially a two letter one? I don't think I've ever used a two letter ref des.

FWLIW I use TR, IC, BR, ZD, LS, VR, TC, SW, RLA, RP etc as well as C, D, L, R etc. But it makes no difference. If you look at enough circuit diagrams you soon find out that a lot of engineers don't care about some standard th at someone else wants them to follow. Really it means nothing. It's just we ird how some folk want everyone else to do it the exact way they were taugh t, regardless of the fact that there's no reason or rhyme for it. Some folk just don't seem able to question the cruft they were taught as kids.

Some common conventions are good & thus popular, some are worthless. Vcc, V ee, Vdd, Vss spring to mind as a prime example of the latter.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'm just telling it as it is. I don't make this stuff up. Jack/plug is too confusing, IMO. Get rid of both.

Reply to
krw

If you mean me, I don't much care what people use for ref des, except that I'm in favour of clear communication. The main disadvantage of long ref des is the space they take up on schematics and especially silkscreens. I real ly like having my parts marked, and the extra board area required by unnece ssarily long ref des seems like a waste. I mean, Crystal Rectifier 3? Reall y? What's the benefit of that vs. Diode 3?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

History? Inertia? Nostalgia?

"Jack" and "plug" don't meet your desire for clear communication. Kinda like serial "transmit" and "receive". ;-)

Reply to
krw

Plugs are the more mobile end, and therefore rarely occur on boards, except maybe for backplane connectors. I see no reason why "J3" on a plug board shouldn't interface with "J7" on a backplane. Do you?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

On Monday, 14 May 2018 00:16:19 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: NT:

t I'm in favour of clear communication. The main disadvantage of long ref d es is the space they take up on schematics and especially silkscreens. I re ally like having my parts marked, and the extra board area required by unne cessarily long ref des seems like a waste. I mean, Crystal Rectifier 3? Rea lly? What's the benefit of that vs. Diode 3?

I mean to whoever it applies, folk know for themselves where they are on it . I don't mark boards, it costs money. They're small though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, because people can't agree on what a "jack" and a "plug" are.

Reply to
krw

Who cares? It's just a ref des. I don't use "P" for connectors, just "J". I t's easy to remember and saves silkscreen space compared with "CN".

Maybe you use a lot of non-crystal rectifiers? ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

, Tr, Q, BR etc

es in my truck alternator. The bridge I just notate as D. It's drawn on t he schematic as a diode bridge, so why add a special ref des especially a t wo letter one? I don't think I've ever used a two letter ref des.

I think U is much more common for ICs, R is adequate for resistor arrays (m uch as D is adequate for diode bridges) and J is the typical designator for connectors. Why buck convention?

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I care because it's confusing.

Nope. we do a lot of silly things but we don't use 'CR'. We do use 'RA' for resistor arrays and 'IC' for ICs, though.

Reply to
krw

That's exactly the point. I don't buck the convention (and 'J' is confusing).

Reply to
krw

:

D, Tr, Q, BR etc

ones in my truck alternator. The bridge I just notate as D. It's drawn on the schematic as a diode bridge, so why add a special ref des especially a two letter one? I don't think I've ever used a two letter ref des.

(much as D is adequate for diode bridges) and J is the typical designator f or connectors. Why buck convention?

there are many conventions to choose from. And some EEs prefer to be mildly humorous with descriptors like CR.

J is also much used for jumper or link btw.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr